Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-19-2009, 02:58 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Basement beam cut in half and steel plated

Hello,
i just bought a house and the previous owner had the basement professionally remodeled.
There appears to be many checks on the main beam, and this beam has been cut in half. Around the cut are steel plates and bolts.
There are 4 lally columns (i dont know if theyre permanent all i know is they are grey) placed evenly along the beam.

I would just like to know how efficient these repairs are, and if professionals usually do that.

I'm no handyman, i don't even think about touching it i would just like to be reassured

Thank you.

107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 06:59 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

When in doubt, I would have someone that understands such things inspect it. Such as an engineer, or someone certified for such things. Lally colums are supposed to be cement filled, easy to check by the sound. As a long time remodeler, I have learned when things don't look right, but leave judging what is right, to those more knowledgeable.

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 08:24 AM   #3
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

Since most all remodeling is done incorrectly you are right in checking on this work. The posts need to be filled and over a concrete foundation (not only a concrete floor) The tops must have a plate that is welded to the steel. This steel plate is useless unless it alone can carry the full load required and it must span the entire distance from post to post. If this is a steel plate it must also be bolted in a staggered pattern every 16"
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote