Basement Beam - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By carpdad

Old 02-16-2017, 11:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2

Basement Beam

Can some have a look at the pictures and tell me if this would pass engineering? On the side of the beam they put a 2x6 (or 8) and then put the floor joists on top of the 2x6. The other beam in the basement has floor joists on top pf the beam. Why wouldn't you put on top of beam?
Attached Thumbnails
Basement Beam-20170216_164003.jpg   Basement Beam-20170216_163519.jpg  

Advertisement

Jrflys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 11:50 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,882

Re: Basement Beam

Looks to me like it would work okay, but I am not an Engineer. Using a Ledger to support the joist ends has been a technique used over the years. 2 x 6 looks better than a 2 x 4. Lots of nails to hold it.
What I can't see very well is whether there is any blocking at the ends, which is common to have installed when a joist might "roll". Usually joist hangers on a Flush beam do not require the blocking, but I don't see any hangers either.
It might be simpler to Board if there was another length of 2 by material used as a spacer to pad out the beam so there is no "jog" in the drywall.

Advertisement

Old 02-17-2017, 06:26 AM   #3
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 5,554

Looks like there was some after the fact engineering. Perhaps the floor was spongy and they were trying to beef it up?
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2017, 07:46 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 950

As is, there is absolutely nothing wrong with it.
1. change in floor levels? could be owner, not the builder, decision
2. forgot the different joist sizes and just used what's available or didn't bother with small details (which is correct decision)
3. is that duct insulation? big duct and joists were positioned to cover it.
I read that the joist bays over a beam must be blocked, but never did it myself and no inspector ever sited me for it. NJ and recently IRC.

About the only difference with the i joist is the connection strength at the ends. Your framing looks 100%.
Windows on Wash likes this.

Last edited by carpdad; 02-17-2017 at 07:48 AM.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 09:00 AM   #5
Licensed P.E./Home Insp

Rewards Points: 826

If they installed the newer wood thinking it would do something structurally for the original girder, they were wrong. And that's a ridiculous amount of fasteners. Plus there's a joint at mid span. Crazy what people will do.
Aggie67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 11:18 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 526

----------------------Welcome to the forums!--------------------

It appears the 2x with center joint is just a ledger to support the floor joists, mass nailed to the side of the LVL. They may have raised it to get headroom in the room because it was taller than the other one... appears they added a chunk of glu-lam on top for the hanger nails of the doubled LVL hung on the side in first picture. Seems acceptable except the two flat tin cold-air returns will get some air-flow turbulence from the step up there, in second pic. If that is a cantilever above on the right side, the joists should be hangered...check your set of plans for both questions you have- beam in "elevation" view, hangers- on floor system papers by manufacturer. I think it was done per plans for the mechanical to pass through though I hope HVAC put in a tin "wedge" piece to transition over the beam.

Gary

Advertisement