Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-02-2012, 06:50 AM   #1

Share |

Basement bath framing question.

I am adding a small 1/2 bath in my basement. I am putting 3/4" xps on the block walls then 2x4 frame. I plan on putting batt insulation as well. I am also using dricore pannels as a sub floor.

Question 1. Do I install my XPS first all the way to the slab then put my dricore down (wall built on top of dricore) or do I put my dricore down first then just run the xps to the top of the dricore pannels?

Question 2. I know this type of question gets asked a lot but when I put in batt insulation do I used faced or unfaced? The way I understand it is I would use unfaced because I have xps on the block already.

Thanks for your help.

Jesse
Attached Thumbnails
Basement bath framing question.-wall.jpg  

oba97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 12:36 PM   #2

Can you do more than 3/4" foam? That is almost not worth the time, unless you are seriously crunched for space. No foil, and I'd say no fiberglass. Use Roxul instead, or more foam and less wood framing (unless structurally necessary). Air seal; tape the foam, air seal the inner sheathing. I'd run the foam to the floor, to break the thermal bridge the Dricore would be making. That is my take on the deal, anyway.

jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 12:58 PM   #3

Yes I am very tight on space. I need to use 2x4 wall to run plumbing otherwise I would use thicker xps and firr the wall. I was going to use 1/2" but after reading most people using 1+" I thought that 3/4 would be a happy medium.
oba97 is offline   Reply With Quote