DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Basement 2 Level Playhouse

779 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  saulpower 
#1 ·
So I'm trying to utilize the space under my stairs in the basement as a playhouse for the kids. Since I live in Colorado and have a concrete slab floor all walls must be floating walls. In order to put in a second floor in this playhouse I've made sure my walls are secured into the ceiling joists with screws and some metal straps. My plan is to use metal straps on the floor framing, running a strap underneath the floor about 6 inches, up the side and then nailing the strap into the wall framing. I've also run supporting 2x4s along the wall framing in line with the floor level so that I can screw/nail the floor framing there as well. This seems like it will work and should be able to bear the load of the floor + people. However, I can't seem to find anything as to whether this is permissible by building code. Any thoughts on whether this will pass inspection.

Crude Drawing:

WALL
| |
| | * METAL STRAP
| | * | |======================
| | * | | FLOOR
| | * | |
| | * | |======================
| |

Metal strap is attached to floor framing on the side and bottom and attached to the wall above the floor framing.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.