Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-27-2011, 02:55 PM   #1
Trying DIYer

Rewards Points: 10

Baseboard waterproofing with Vapor Barrier? Possible? How?

My basement is leaking for some time now and now its getting worst. House built in 1983 and we moved in 1999. The previous owner repaired a wall using epoxy injection. It worked for a while but not now. I used a black tar to cover it but still now luck. We called several companies and they recommed an interior french drain which wil drain into the sump pump and out. Heres my house the backyard is on a slope. So the house is kinda on a hill

Heres the black tar which we put on:

Hope the pic where the wall meets the floor will show help
So i was searching online for alternate ways which i can do. i saw a baseboard system similar to this
http://www.waterproof.com/
But they havent showed any vapor barrier i was wondering if i could use that in a combination with the baseboard system to foward to the sump pump. I have poured concrete. And do i have to drill weep holes? im kinda uncomfortable drilling holes and then water rushing in. Also can i use that dryloc stuff over the black tar or no?

My sump pump is kinda old but works perfectly in my opinion i took pictures of the hose where i believe they line outside the house. One hose looks good while the other kinda looks busted up. The water that comes in is crystal clear so im pretty sure its not cloged. Any suggestions?

But my main concern is the basment leaking. Its leaking through the walls more then where the ground meets the floor. I want to do this because itll save me money while doing the basic thing the french drain is doing which is to redirect the water.

Any tips advice or tricks will be helpful. Thanks.

Zth124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 07:09 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

your attacking the problem from the wrong side,are you gutters pitched right and the leaders directed away from the house?are the leaders connected to the footing drain? they shouldn't be,are ground conditions leading water to your house?they shouldn't or there should be a french drain intercepting it before it reaches the house

Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 07:51 PM   #3
Trying DIYer

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomstruble View Post
your attacking the problem from the wrong side,are you gutters pitched right and the leaders directed away from the house?are the leaders connected to the footing drain? they shouldn't be,are ground conditions leading water to your house?they shouldn't or there should be a french drain intercepting it before it reaches the house
Yea all the gutters are new and i made sure the slope goes away from the house. Also alla the footing drains lead at least 4 ft away from the house.
Zth124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 05:41 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,152

redirecting exterior water helps ( leader drains/grading/downspouts ) but the REAL culprit is the soft backfill next to the bsmt walls,,, its a VERY builder who backfills in compacted ' lifts ' - most just dump in dirt & leave it high as most know soft dirt settles,,, that fill will NEVER achieve the same compaction ( soil density ) as the original therefore water, taking the path of least resistance ) will run down thru it like it would thru a sponge.

while having an interior ' french drain ' installed including sump ( collection point ) & discharge pump may seem expensive, the cost is MUCH less than doing the exterior work NOW,,, what needs to be done is what should have been done when the home was built,,, however, we bsmt waterproofers need to make boat pymts & eat well, too.

trying to stop exterior water from the inside never resolved the issue as wtr still penetrates to the depth of the wtr stop
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stadry For This Useful Post:
Tom Struble (03-28-2011)