Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-13-2009, 06:54 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Base Structure for Shed

Hi everyone. I would like some input and have a few questions about constructing a base for a newly purchased small shed. It is a 8' x 7.5' steel reinforced HDPE shed with a HDPE floor. Here is a link to the actual shed: click.

The instructions state a few different options for the base, all of which I do not believe will work for my situation. The area in which I plan to construct the shed is always very soggy after raining, and is pretty much solid clay. I figure I have 2 options: concrete slab or raised base using treated wood. I prefer to save a few $$$, so I am thinking the wood route. Here are my questions:

I am thinking of four 4x4 posts, with double 2x6 beams spanning them (like you would use below a deck), then use a 2x4 frame, 16" OC laying on the beams. Do you think this will work? If not, what do you recommend? Or instead of the 2x4 frame, should I use decking for the full base? As for the posts, how far from the corners should I set them?

Any other suggestions would of course be welcome. Trying to get this up in the next couple weeks.

Thanks,
Jason

jasoncw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 07:06 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

Base Structure for Shed

Put down some gravel, build a base deck out of 2x6 (16oc) and use regular deck boards for the floor.

Set the whole thing level on stone or patio blocks

be aware... now you need a ramp

Last edited by johnnyboy; 04-13-2009 at 07:09 PM.
johnnyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 08:30 PM   #3

Base Structure for Shed

Thanks for the reply, johnnyboy. However, I don't think the stone/patio blocks will work, since my yard gets very soggy after raining. I can see these sinking right in the ground.
Old 04-15-2009, 11:32 PM   #4

Base Structure for Shed

Bump! Any input is appreciated!
Old 04-16-2009, 07:08 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,024

Base Structure for Shed

Nothing will work on soggy soft soil. You need to dig down to hard ground at the least (if not bedrock).

If you don't want to pour a concrete slab, dig out an area big enough for the shed to fit on, optionally put in a decorative border of pressure treated 2x6's or 2x8's, and fill the area with gravel. Then build the shed foundation (any kind) atop the gravel using pressure treated lumber. All the joists should contact the gravel, namely do not use 2x6 middle joists in a 2x8 rim joist foundation.

What counts is having weight distributed over a large area. If the ground is soft, footings just at the corners will sink, even if some gravel is poured.

My shed: http://www.cockam.com/shed.htm

Last edited by AllanJ; 04-16-2009 at 07:14 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote