Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-19-2008, 05:39 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

Base for Lifetime (plastic) storage shed

I'm going to have an 8 x 10 Lifetime storage shed put in the backyard. Is there anything that I can use as a base besides concrete? Will setting this on level ground be okay? Or will the plastic floor finally give way on level ground? How about leveling sand or something like that?

proofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 07:12 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 554

What does the manufacturer of the shed allow for the base for a lifetime warrantee? If you don't care about the warrantee, I'd set it on a base of compacted 0 & 1 limestone topped with setting sand. Make sure that there is sufficient grade to prevent water from sitting under the shed and possibly freezing. Also install an edging so water cannot erode your base and create voids under the floor.

Old 08-20-2008, 08:19 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

Sorry, but I should have been a little more specific. The brand of this storage shed is called Lifetime. I threw that in so maybe you knew of the type of material that it is constructed of. It's similar to a storage shed made by Rubbermaid (where the top and sides are a type of heavy-duty plastic; the floor a type of "giveable" spongy hard rubber). There's no wood involved. And since the floor is made of a heavy-duty rubber-like material that gives when you walk on it, I'm just wondering if the floor will eventually break up if the floor is not sitting directly on a concrete foundation. After reading the little more detail that I just gave above, do you still think that limestone and setting sand will give the floor a firm-enough foundation to protect the flooring from breaking up?

Last edited by proofer; 08-20-2008 at 09:07 AM. Reason: better description of material
proofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 08:46 AM   #4
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 2,142

I have a similar shed that I put up several years ago. It is on a small slope so I did not want to use a compacted base (too much grading and worry from erosion).

I built a frame of PT 2 by 6's (5' by 8 feet - size of shed)on 16 inch centers. Raised frame to level and attached to PT 4by4's ay each corner with lag bolts. Posts are set on pier blocks (no frost in my area). I set 2 additional posts on the 8 foot sides. Front posts are about 8" tall the rear posts are about 14" tall. Total 6 posts and pier blocks. I then covered frame with PT 1/2 inch plywood. Set vinyl floor on this platform and put up shed.

As a side note - I had moved this shed from another property where it was set on level ground and the floor felt squishy as you walked on it.
rjniles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 02:32 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

If you are unable to use a concrete slab, Lifetime Products recommends either a wood platform covered with plywood or a wood frame filled with pea gravel. In the shed assembly directions that come with the shed, Lifetime does a great job of providing step-by-step directions of how to build the wood platform or frame to make sure it's the right size for the shed your purchased. (I actually just built one last weekend and the directions made it super easy. We placed our wood platform on cinder blocks to ensure it was level on our sloped yard and so the wood wouldn't be sitting directly on the ground.) However, if you want to get a jump on things and build the foundation before you purchase the shed, you can actually find all of the assembly directions on Lifetime's website under the Customer Care option in top right corner at www.lifetime.com. More specifically, here's the link to the assembly directions for the 8'x10' shed
http://www.lifetime.com/CustomerCare...sheds/6419.pdf
jclaborn is offline   Reply With Quote