Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-08-2008, 12:30 PM   #1
l1r

Share |

Barrel for french drain?

So I have to put the french drain alongside of my house. I've got some foundation problems, that I and people I spoke with relate to water. It gotta be water since there is a little hill just outside of one side of the house.
Now I have no basement, just 3ft crawlspace, so I figured I dig the pipe 3 ft deep, give it a 1/8 -or-so drop per foot. But the thing is I can't terminate it out to the street, since the street is at about the same level and most of the backyard. I can send the water running on to the neighbor's side (it slopes down about enough by the end of my property), but I don't think that's a good idea.
Than I guess I can put some means of water collection (a barrel) at the end of that sloped pipe, but it would also be dug up a few feet under. The question remains - how do I get the water out of the barrel? Do I need to install a pump, terminate it onto the street? Is it OK to have an electric pump in the backyard?
I'm confused...
Thanks!

l1r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 01:19 PM   #2

Barrel for french drain?

You could dig a dry well out, away from the house.
You could hook it up to a sump pump and trench the yard to the street for an outlet pipe. You just need constant power for the pump and or battery backup.
The drywell ,while requiring more initial work, is a passive system. You just need to make it the correct size.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 01:29 PM   #3
l1r

Barrel for french drain?

Wouldn't drywell defeat the whole purpose for the drain? I'm trying to get water away from the foundation as much as possible, and if I'm collecting it and letting it out in one spot, which will potentially be close to the corner of the house (10-15 feet away), I'm afraid it would mess things up ever more.
Or am I misunderstanding the concept of drywell?
Old 04-08-2008, 01:44 PM   #4
Learning by Doing

Barrel for french drain?

Google drywell - there are lots of ways/methods to accomplishing your goal.

Super-Duper thumbs up being considerate about how your DIY project will impact your neighbor.
Old 04-08-2008, 02:51 PM   #5
l1r

Barrel for french drain?

Considering my spreadfooter foundation is 3 feet deep under the surface, how much deeper would I have to put drywell for it to work? Do you think if it's about 10 feet away and 4 -5 feet below ground it would do the job?
Old 04-08-2008, 03:34 PM   #6
Learning by Doing

Barrel for french drain?

Proper (ie. useful) installation of a drywell is very dependent on your own situation.

What is the percolation rate of your soil? Drywell's work best in soil that drains easily. Installation differs for clay heavy soil.
How deep is your water table (specifically what is it's high point - usually in the spring)? A drywell must be installed above the water table.

If you do not know this information contact your local University Extension Service. They may even have some specific information about installing a drywell tailored for your location.
Old 04-30-2008, 10:54 AM   #7
l1r

Barrel for french drain?

Ok, so after buying a laser and shooting a level, I can surface the pipe about 10 feet from my property border and about 50 feet from neighbors pool, which will also be about 100 feet from neighbors house. Shouldn't be a problem.
Now on to my drain:
It will be 140 feet long, I'm making it 3 feet deep at the shallowest (about 4 at the deepest). I'm renting a mini excavator this upcoming weekend to do the digging. I got the white kind 4" pipe with two rows of holes in it, pipe sock - to keep it clean. I am going to put a second pipe - with no holes, for gutter water alongside the white one (there is only one downspout, but still, I'd rather play it safe).
So I'm digging it out, putting the pipe in, filling it with depth minus 12 inches of rock, putting landscape fabric on top and filling the rest with dirt.
Questions:
Do I lay the pipe with holes down or up?
Do I have to have fabric on trench walls to keep dirt from mixing with rocks?
Is 12 inches of dirt on top reasonable, or is it too much?
Thanks to all...
Old 04-30-2008, 07:32 PM   #8

Barrel for french drain?

1. Holes Down.
2. Not necessary. Besides it would be a PITA to anchor it vertically.
3. 12 inches should be fine. Can get away with 6-8"
wsuswim147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 10:51 AM   #9
l1r

Barrel for french drain?

Thanks!
It will be a busy weekend.
Old 06-16-2008, 12:50 PM   #10

Barrel for french drain?

you need to read this article http://www.askthebuilder.com/721_Trench_Drain.shtml we plan to try this to treat our leaky basement. also the drum or barrel should have holes in it so the water goes back into the earth.

annie68164 is offline   Reply With Quote