DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Balloon Framing Question

8K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  mpepin 
#1 ·
Hey everyone!
I have a question about balloon framing. My house is framed in the balloon style and I am a little worried about taking down a wall. I have just finished remodeling my kitchen and now another project comes up. I want to take down half of the wall that seperates my living room from my dinning room to make the dining area look bigger since it is very small. When i say half the wall i mean taking down the top half (leaving the bottom 3' of wall and taking off the top 5' to have an island effect.) The wall is not load bearing but i know balloon style framing goes from the bottom floor, up past the second to the roof joist. Would I have to support the top at all? I plan on taking down some plaster tomorrow to see what I am working with so I will post a few pics to show. Any input on this matter would be appreciated.
Thanks
Anthony

#2 ·
The interior walls have little to do with the exterior framing style. But can everything to do with interior support. To determine of the wall is a supporting wall, you need to know its' relationship to supporting walls under it and which ways joists a roof rafters run. Any wall running the long length of a house, near the middle, may be a supporting wall and needs special reinforcement if removed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.