Ballon Framing Removal - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-22-2012, 09:34 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Ballon framing removal

Hi all,
After completion of an addition I am going to remove a wall that separates our current bedroom and living room to make bigger living room. The problem is it is a ballon framed wall that goes clear to roof. I would like to leave the upstairs portion of the wall in place. I was thinking I could go upstairs and remove lower portion of the plaster on both sides and just place a couple of 2 x 4 on each side and then string 2 x6 nailed to studs to hold up that portion until I get a beam in place in floor ( ceiling). Then new beam would hold up the upstairs wall and any roof load.
The finished span would be about 12 ft. Existing ceiling joint are 2 x8 (full 2x8) on 24" centers with a 1x6 in between to help hold plaster lathe I guess .

Thank you for your input.

Advertisement

Farmboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 09:43 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,030

Ballon framing removal

If I understand your plan it will not work. You have to support from below, Your wall that you want to remove is supporting the load.

Here is how to cut a hole in existing wall for a door or window. The basic premise may work for you. Just think of your opening as a big doorway.
You will need a big header, probably something engineered. A good lumber yard should be able to help you with that (usually not a big box store)

Cutting opening in Load Bearing wall

Becasue you will not have any plywood on this wall nail a 2x6 flat on the top and bottom to act as a stop. (hopefully will make sense once you read the link.)

Advertisement

Last edited by mae-ling; 01-23-2012 at 09:47 AM.
mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 09:55 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 632

Ballon framing removal

If you have not done this type work before I strongly suggest you hire someone that has before and knows how to.
Not just a buddly to give you a hand.
I've seen and had to go behind far to many DIYs that have tryed this before.
Sagging rooms above, cracked headers ect.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:20 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Ballon framing removal

thanks both of you.
I was not going to tackle this all by my self my father in law has been building and remodeling for 40 years and is helping with the technical stuff like this. I was just wondering if there was some preliminary work I could do before he comes to help speed up the actual process. So I guess I will go with plan B wich is to wait until he gets here again
Farmboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:21 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 632

Ballon framing removal

Good decision.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:23 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,030

Ballon framing removal

Yep, good idea. Show him the link I gave you
mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 12:42 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,032

Ballon framing removal

Just make sure he installs more than 4-2x12's, using an engineered beam as said already. Mega more weight here than a simple window addition. You need a permit for this structural change, just for the paper trail for your H.O.Insurance carrier in case of future claims.... and when you sell the house. Top plate straps to beam, full bearing (solid blocks) to earth below on added concrete footings (size determined by soil type) with re-bar steel, straps to header/triple jack studs or 4x4 posts, etc. http://publicecodes.citation.com/ico...002_par021.htm

Gary

Advertisement

mae-ling (01-23-2012)