Bagster - Any Negative Reviews? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-16-2011, 03:19 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

bagster - any negative reviews?

I am gutting and re-doing my basement. I was planning on using bagster. I have a small ranch style 2 story in westchester NY.

I was wondering if anybody had any negative experiences with bagster. I plan on getting one, putting it on my frront yard (near the street, so the boom will not be an issue).

They claim 3.5 tons - is that accurage? Does the bag rip? Does WasteManagement change their prices? I just want to know if I should expect anything by uisng them instead of a standard dumpster.

Thank you.

-K

Advertisement

kuj0317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 06:29 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,456

when w/m bought bagster, $ changed westchester i don't know but atlanta was 45%,,, far as i can tell, its an expensive call however west cty is different than atl - here a 20cy container's $300

Advertisement

stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 07:52 AM   #3
Not so new

Rewards Points: 504

...$216.66 for Westchester NY. Plus $30.00 for the bag. I get an 8 yard rolloff for $275.00.

Plan carefully...not sure a basement demo and remodel will fit in a bag. They can only be filled even with the top of the bag.
12penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 08:38 AM   #4
I have gas!

Rewards Points: 1,018

I think you should try it and report back. There are communication and power wires in front of my house so it was not an option for me.
Old 10-16-2011, 06:40 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,002

I have a friend that has about 6 different size dump trailers. He'll either drop it off on the job and pick it up at a later date, or back it up the drive and let me fill it and then he leaves. The biggest one is 14 yards. Costs me around $225. I like it because its very reasonable, and I don't have to worry about driveway damage from a dumpster. I usually just stack the debris in the garage neatly and then call him. He helps me load up, fifteen minutes and hes gone. You might want to check and see if there's anyone in your area that offers a similar service.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 11:10 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 10

Hello kuj0317,

This is Joe from Waste Management. I saw you had a few questions in regards to the Bagster Dumpster in a Bag and wanted to help you find the right solution for your job.

The Bagster bag holds 3 cubic yards of debris and has a weight capacity up to 3,300 lb (about 1.5 tons). The bag itself is 8 ft long by 4 ft wide by 2 ft 6 in high. Collection fees do vary by metro across the United States and Canada. In Westchester County, NY the Bagster collection fee is currently $199 plus taxes/fees for one bag, and if you have additional bags collected at the same time and address they are $169 per additional bag. If you need something larger, we also have a variety of roll-off's that range in size from 10 to 30 cubic yards and are available on ---------.

Last edited by Gary in WA; 10-17-2011 at 05:09 PM. Reason: Removed web ad link as per forum rules.
JoeVolp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 12:24 PM   #7
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,448

kujo317, 3 cubic yards is not much. I could have filled one of those up with the demo from our bath, of the rock lathe that we took down. The space was only 6x8.5, but the wall demo would have filled one of those real quick. Depending on the job that you are doing, it may be easier to just rent a dumpster How large is the space that you are going to be working in?
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 06:26 PM   #8
journeyman carpenter

Rewards Points: 2,140

if your gutting your basement, you'll need more than a bagster to fit it in. call a local refuse company and rent a dumpster.. this way you only need one container
woodworkbykirk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 09:01 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuj0317 View Post
They claim 3.5 tons - is that accurage? Does the bag rip? Does WasteManagement change their prices? I just want to know if I should expect anything by uisng them instead of a standard dumpster.
3.5 tons, don't know... but it's smallish, and you've got to stay under the sides...

Bag didn't rip for me--
Bag #1, willed w/ scrap hardwood, doors, and some cement chunks
Bag #2, more scrap hardwood, tons of cardboard, hardiboard scraps
Bag #3, old flat pack furniture, lamps, misc

Bag #1 was definitely heavy, the other two were more volume then mass...

Watch for overhead wires--they need a certain height for their boom... If the truck has to be on the driveway make you sign the form... I recommend you get some scrap wire and use it to tie the handles together--not only does it help hold the bag together but keeps you "honest" in terms of it being packed.

For the ~$200 you spend between pick up and the bag you're more than 1/2-way towards a regular dumpster... I wouldn't buy one unless I knew I stay under, no way would I do two at once again... the three I used were spaced out over a couple of months and two locations so a trad. dumpster wasn't possible...
bubbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 01:58 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 25

Hello All

Thanks for your replies. I was initially drawn to the weight limit of 3.3 tons. However, at just 3 Cubic yards, it really is not what I need for my job.

For your info, the dimensions are here:
http://www.thebagster.com/product_info_specs.aspx

I guess that a traditional dumpster is what I need. I was never against this option, except it makes the current parking situation unworkable.

My town does have weekly bulk rubbish collection. I'll see how much I can get away with each week.

Thanks for your feedback.
kuj0317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 09:40 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuj0317 View Post
Hello All

Thanks for your replies. I was initially drawn to the weight limit of 3.3 tons. However, at just 3 Cubic yards, it really is not what I need for my job.

For your info, the dimensions are here:
http://www.thebagster.com/product_info_specs.aspx

I guess that a traditional dumpster is what I need. I was never against this option, except it makes the current parking situation unworkable.

My town does have weekly bulk rubbish collection. I'll see how much I can get away with each week.

Thanks for your feedback.
Practically it is very difficult to use the full dimensions of the bag in my opinion unless you have materials that either stand on their own or something to act as walls--the sides are much less stiff than they'd lead you to think, I was never able to successfully do the "fold the top over itself to stiffen it up" part of their instructions.

You may need a permit for a full sized dumpster, check with your town. In my town the permit is $50 and good for 6 months. If you are doing other work that requires permits, but maybe aren't planning to get permits for it, then you should be aware that having the dumpster raises suspicion. In a smaller town, or a town that generates revenue from permits this might cause a problem (or a stop work which is worse). My town asked for a reason for the dumpster to be placed when I got a full sized, since we were just moving in I couldn't very well check the "cleaning out basement/attic" box, but you might be able to. I had other work permits that I referred to anyway.

Household trash pickup isn't meant for remodeling/construction debris. If you think the bagster is too small, then you're either going to get fined by the town for overloading the trash pick up guys or you'd be better to prepared to dole this stuff out slowly over a year. My town has a limit of 3 barrels and they specifically state no construction debris. Now, I've put some stuff out inside contractor bags (always light enough to lift w/ one arm) and I've seen people cut doors into 3rds to leave out, etc... The town has to pay a contractor for pickup, if you're leaving 10cu-yd of trash out over 2 months they will take notice, seeing how much you can get away with may lead you to a fine that will make you wish you just got a full size dumpster.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:55 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 522

seriosuly? you guys are paying that much? where I am its $90 for the first bad $75 for each additional bag which is cheap if you don't have a ton, we were able to guy an entire basement (1700 sq ft) of drywall and fit it into one and a half of them and and entire ceiling tile system into the other half and never went over the top (played tetris with the pieces to maxamize space)
BlueBSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 11:53 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBSH View Post
seriosuly? you guys are paying that much? where I am its $90 for the first bad $75 for each additional bag which is cheap if you don't have a ton, we were able to guy an entire basement (1700 sq ft) of drywall and fit it into one and a half of them and and entire ceiling tile system into the other half and never went over the top (played tetris with the pieces to maxamize space)
Eastern MA it's $139 for the first bag, $119 for the second bag. I believe that's actually $30 cheaper than when I used them before--I'm fairly sure it was $169.

You need to also factor in the cost of the bag itself which is $30-40 I believe.

I paid $450 for a 15cu-yd roll off dumpster, because I had it during the winter it was free rental, otherwise during season it's $1/day. For me, if I were renting in season and getting the permits, etc, I'd be looking at $500-550 for 30 days of dumpster.

I'd need 5 bagsters to hit the same volume, but the bagster wins on weight, 5 x 3300lbs = 16,500lbs, or over 8 tons! My roll off ended up 1 ton over, I think I paid either $100 or $125 for that, so now the roll off might be more like $600-675 depending on what you're doing.

5 bagsters, bag cost + simultaneous pick up, it would be over $700.

I'm not sorry I did the roll off because I needed it in my situation, but for smaller projects the bagster is def. the way to go. I'd rather spend the $150-160 for a single bagster pickup then deal with spending 6-8 weeks putting out my debris with the household trash.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:31 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 10

kuj0317, how did you end up doing for dumpster? I'm in Irvington and have continuous projects going on and this post poped up during my search. Would love to find out if you ended up going with a roll off dumpster service or not.
mparka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 04:23 AM   #15
Retired carpenter

My review of Bagster is positive.
They came for the pickup when they said they would.
Bag didn't rip, and it must have been close to the weight limit.
Mine was a bit over the top, and they took it anyway.
Charged what they said they would charge.

Bagster is good for small remodels done without a hurry. Throw a tarp over it so the contents don't get water logged, and take your sweet time filling up the bag.
When you rent a dumpster, you have to pay for each day you have it after the first 3 or 4 days.

Advertisement

abracaboom is offline   Reply With Quote