Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-12-2011, 09:51 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Baffling baffle install

I have a perplexing problem nobody seems to answer I have a house with 16" 2 X 4 ceiling joists and 24" roof rafters also 2 X 4 so I have about 3 1/2" where the gap over the wall plate to roof sheathing.

With the ends of the ceiling joist sticking in the hole where a baffle should go. Largest gap is like 14" and few of those,,,most come out like a few inches at best. Now its time to baffle the soffit to roof ridge channel and those whimpy styrofoam ones from big box stores dont fit,,odd size holes and small holes.

Thought I could cut some kemlite baffles but it wont bend enough. What is proper thing to keep insulation out of this small gap? and how high do they need to go for future insulation depth?? thanks -don-

4just1don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 06:56 AM   #2

Baffling baffle install

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4just1don View Post
I have a perplexing problem nobody seems to answer I have a house with 16" 2 X 4 ceiling joists and 24" roof rafters also 2 X 4 so I have about 3 1/2" where the gap over the wall plate to roof sheathing.

With the ends of the ceiling joist sticking in the hole where a baffle should go. Largest gap is like 14" and few of those,,,most come out like a few inches at best. Now its time to baffle the soffit to roof ridge channel and those whimpy styrofoam ones from big box stores dont fit,,odd size holes and small holes.

Thought I could cut some kemlite baffles but it wont bend enough. What is proper thing to keep insulation out of this small gap? and how high do they need to go for future insulation depth?? thanks -don-
The height of the baffles would depend on where you live and how high you plan to put insulation to.
Why can't you just notch out the styrofoam baffles around the obstacle? You can also use cardboard, 1/4" ply, nailed to the roof rafters. The baffles are more important for blown in insulation as you can place the batts back from the edge of the house.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 07:26 AM   #3

Baffling baffle install

What I found for mine was really cheap foam board. Think it was 1/4" thick, 36" tall, and came in 8ft sections.
I already had some old batts where I was insulating so I placed them so they would take up the gap that the foam board wouldn't cover but not over hang the exterior wall. Doesn't take much just a few inches so your blow in has no where to go if thats what your doing. Then I cut then foam board to the hieght I wanted and stapeled it in place then I was set to blow in insulation.
As far as how tall to make the foam I guessed a couple inches taller then the depth I planned on insulating to and it seemed to work out. Drawing attached....
Attached Images
File Type: bmp untitled3.bmp (85.4 KB, 50 views)
MyEvilBanana is offline   Reply With Quote