Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-27-2010, 04:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Baffle

Hello,
I am going to purchase some baffle for ventilation and noticed that they make a foam and plastic ones. Is one better that the other? I assume foam would be easier bend slightly at the soffit, but would it be as air tight durable as plastic.

timchi29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 04:26 PM   #2

Baffle

It's really your choice. I prefer the foam ones which are usually easier to first staple to the top plate and bend over and up so that the plate has insulation on top.

On a higher-pitched roof, that doesn't matter as much, as I've found it's easier on those to get and keep the insulation on the plate.

As far as being airtight.....doesn't matter. The baffle's only function is to ensure an air pathway from soffit.

RoyalAcresRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 04:49 PM   #3

Baffle

thanks. Do you see an issue installing rolls of insulation over the loose insulation? I need to add some some manufactures say dont due to the compaction and loss in R value and other say that they can be used.
Old 05-27-2010, 05:04 PM   #4

Baffle

Fiberglass' (you are talking fiberglass, aren't you?) R-value is dependent on not being compressed, but cannot say without knowing more whether your plan will compress your existing loose-fill enough enough to compromise its value.

Now, if you're planning to do your whole home as opposed to a smaller area that you're fixing or renovating, my opinion is that you would be better served by investigating the cost of blown in cellulose.

rod
Old 05-27-2010, 05:35 PM   #5

Baffle

just a 22'x15' area and adding 8-10". It's grey so not sure what it is. I noticed that certaineed make a shake and rake also.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:37 PM   #6

Baffle

Hmm. Someone else may chime in here with better info, but if it were I, (and again, not taking the opportunity to blow cellulose to the either attic...why not?) I would roll unfaced R-30 batts perpendicular to the ceiling joists.

FYI....R-30 batts typically come in 15 and 24 inch widths. For some reason the 15" width batts are usually less than 1/2 the price per unit of area. One caveat with the large thickness is ensuring the top plate is covered, even more so if you have a low-pitched roof. It's worth your time to get sufficient insulation in that area....a problematic insulation one in many homes.

rod