Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-13-2009, 07:53 PM   #1

Share |
Unhappy

Badly termite damaged wall

One of the exterior walls in my house is considerably damaged by past termite damage. The wall wasn't painted in decades I would guess. As a result, the wood siding from ground level to about 2' up is rotted. Recently while trying to add some protection to this neglected wall, I discoverd that not only is the base of this wall completely rotted, but the virtical studs are as well. I can probably push my finger through them. My question is, what is the best and safest way to repair this. I thought maybe if I built small (maybe 2' wide) framed sections, and installed them one at a time I could little by little cut out the rotted sections and re-side the wall when complete. Any ideas? I think my plan will work, but I'm not sure. I'm also a little concerned about building code implications. Any help you can give is greatly appreciated.

phenix76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 08:04 PM   #2

this could be more involved than you think. All that rotted wood has to go and being an outside wall, theres a 50% chance its load bearing. Expose the wall to the extent of the damage from the inside or outside and take some pictures and post them back. This could be a very serious problem you have there. Those little wood eaters can destroy a home.

PS, call and exterminator as soon you open the wall (s). Hopefully its not too bad.

II Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 09:59 PM   #3

I have seen where these crappy critters ate the bottoms like you have,,,continued up mud tunnels and or inside the studs and really ate the roof sructure,,,check the WHOLE building thourghly!! You never know WHERE they found the tastiest wood. I havent found the redeeming quality of THOSE bugs yet!!!
4just1don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 11:12 PM   #4

I am actually taking a break from preparing a set of plans to replace the front of a residence that suffered from hungry termites.

How I am putting their plans together:
1) support the existing roof structure (this one is a single story home) with a temporary wall about 2 ft from the damaged wall (this will allow for movement of the workers).
2) remove what is left of the wall.
3) replace as per plans (p.t. sill plate, studs, strapping, etc.).
4) reinstall garage door.

As stated above, you need to follow the damage and look at least 4 ft beyond your last visible damage. These things will tunnel to other locations.

Last year I did a set of plans for a house that had no damage to the roof system or interior walls but about 90% of the exterior/perimeter wall was severely damaged. The wall had to be replaced in phases so as to not bring the building down.

Good luck.
Caveman_Prog is offline   Reply With Quote