Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-20-2010, 12:19 AM   #1

Share |
Question

Is This Bad Radon Mitigation?

Basics: Cookie cutter house, Colorado, built in 1996. Half the basement is a crawl space, the other half is about 400 sq-ft I'm remodeling in to a 4th bedroom. I purchased in 1999, tested for radon and came out pretty low.

Recently one of my neighbors installed a proper mitigation system after a high test. That started me thinking...I've never known what this thing is in the attached pic. Is it a sloppy attempt at a "passive" mitigation system?

It comes out of the ground on the crawlspace side of the house. If it penetrates the foundation wall it does so below the crawlspace grade and can't be seen, even in the livable space section where the sump pit is at the exact opposite end of the house. Presumably it would connect with the french drains routed to the sump hole (no pump installed) and magically (or thermally) spirit away the radon. If it keeps the levels low I don't necessarily care, although re-entry could be considered a hazard.

Any opinions on what exactly this might be? If this isn't for radon, what the heck is it?
Attached Thumbnails
Is This Bad Radon Mitigation?-2010-04-19-22.47.20.jpg  

Last edited by golddog; 04-20-2010 at 12:38 AM.
golddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 11:25 AM   #2

Whatever it is, it's not a legal mitigation system. There's no way it would even work. Appendix F of the International Residential Code (IRC) prescribes the required systems for basements and crawl spaces. Basically, a crawl space only requires a passive system. Mine consists of a run of perforated pipe with a tee in the middle. Off the tee, a vent runs up through the roof. The perforated pipe and entire crawl space floor are covered with 6-mil poly that's sealed to the walls.

md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 03:50 PM   #3

no exhaust fan on a timer OR dually controlled by a humidistat ?
itsreallyconc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 08:21 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsreallyconc View Post
no exhaust fan on a timer OR dually controlled by a humidistat ?
Not that I'm aware of. If there is it's underground, I've never heard it running, and there's no obvious means of wiring. (That wire next to it in the pic is a sloppy Comcast install).

I'm wondering if that's supposed to be the base for a proper stack that's intended to go all the way up to the roof line after construction, completed by the owner if desired. I've been reading up on the history of radon friendly construction in Colorado...I'm wondering if that's what passed for it in the mid-90s.

Last edited by golddog; 04-20-2010 at 08:26 PM.
golddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 02:56 PM   #5

Builders will sometimes lay perforated pipe in case mitigation is needed after construction. Don't know why they'd have those holes in the cap if it wasn't in use though. If it's in use, it's supposed to extend above the roof line.
walkman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
basement, radon