Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-03-2013, 12:34 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

Bad Ledger Board Attachment

I was putting some stuff under my deck when I looked at the ledger board. (I hope I have my lingo correct, to me the ledge board is the 2X10 that is attached to the house and holds that portion of the deck. The opposite portion is held up by 6x6 posts).

This is an 8X12 deck.

ANYWAY, lol, what I noticed was the ledger board is kind of sitting on top of a little piece of cedar siding, Instead of pulling off that piece of siding, and then splicing in a piece from the bottom, they got lazy and left that piece on. So the bottom of the ledger is sitting on the top 1.5" of cedar siding. In addition I can't seem to see any kind of black weatherproof stuff behind the ledger.

If I call a construction person (since this is beyond my attempt), can they sort of "pry the deck off the house", pull that piece of siding off, put some black weather proof stuff there, and then sort of "slide the deck back up to the house and re-attach"?

Thank you.

Old 01-03-2013, 01:05 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,020

Not likly, once again pictures sure would help.
How far from the ground is this deck?
The best way to build a deck is to build it free standing. that way there's no chance of it causing damage behind the wall.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:57 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

If you can dig footers two feet out from the house just add a drop beam and essentially it's free standing with whatever lateral sway your ledger board gives at this point.
dvatt is offline   Reply With Quote