Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-05-2007, 05:39 PM   #1

Share |

Bad idea? Framing addition on sloping slab

Okay, I know this is a bad idea (framing on a sloping slab), but I'd appreciate suggestions on how best to fix the situation.

We are in the midst of completing a 2-story, 1000 s.f. addition to our house, which we bought 18 months ago. The addition has a pier-on-footing foundation (photos are attached) which is connected with bolts to the slab foundation of the house. Both the slab of the main house and the new piers-on-footing foundation are in great shape, well connected, and level.

However, right next to new addition is a 10'x12' office that sits on its own little slab, and this slab slopes gently away from the main house. The slope is especially noticeable now that the office butts up against the addition.

Now, what we want to do is demo the office and reframe it to 18' high, same as the addition, making an open 10'x12'x18' high space for a stairwell up to the 2nd story of the addition.

I would appreciate suggestions on how to deal, economically but sensibly, with the little sloping slab under the 10x12 office. Mudjack it? Coat it with a self-leveling top coat? Leave it and just adjust with the frames?

The total slope of the little slab is about 1 1/4" over a 10' run.

P.S. I'd also like to know what would be BAD ideas, since those are the ones I'm likely to gravitate to by nature.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad idea? Framing addition on sloping slab-addition-full-view.jpg   Bad idea? Framing addition on sloping slab-addition-meet-closeup.jpg   Bad idea? Framing addition on sloping slab-addition-inside-view.jpg  

Last edited by austinbirdman; 01-07-2007 at 07:42 PM.
austinbirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 07:05 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinbirdman View Post
Okay, I know this is a bad idea (framing on a sloping slab), but I'd appreciate suggestions on how best to fix the situation.

We are in the midst of completing a 2-story, 1000 s.f. addition to our house, which we bought 18 months ago. The addition has a pier-on-footing foundation (photos are attached) which is connected with bolts to the slab foundation of the house. Both the slab of the main house and the new piers-on-footing foundation are in great shape, well connected, and level.

However, right next to new addition is a 10'x12' office that sits on its own little slab, and this slab slopes gently away from the main house. The slope is especially noticeable now that the office butts up against the addition.

Now, what we want to do is demo the office and reframe it to 18' high, same as the addition, making an open 10'x12'x18' high space for a stairwell up to the 2nd story of the addition.

I would appreciate suggestions on how to deal, economically but sensibly, with the little sloping slab under the 10x12 office. Mudjack it? Coat it with a self-leveling top coat? Leave it and just adjust with the frames?

The total slope of the little slab is about 1 1/4" over a 10' run.

P.S. I'd also like to know what would be BAD ideas, since those are the ones I'm likely to gravitate to by nature.
hi, this simple and cheap /run plastic sheet over area this will give you damproof membrane if required extra over sides to fold over any external walls to stop rising damp / coarse sand mix cement 4sand and 1 cement dry mix together watering can and dampen slowly you do not want a mortar consistancy you will see the cement take that wet look but you will still have the sandy feel and look / experiment first with a little / you can mix it by shovel where you are laying it save time now it will level out easy with a 3 foot piece of wood like a made like a rake . i would suggest rails to level out but your area is not deep enough so rake level you can pack it .walk on it . without sinking and being covered in mess . to finish cast some with your trowel run a 5 - 6 ft. stick to finish / you can tile it board it what ever when dry next day / one thing if any walls are on any part of it shutter that strip and concrete / remember when changing from concrete to wood or steel vertical or horizontal put in a plastic memrane even steel to wood same.. 5 to 1 would even do for your above mix. regards mike. do you know you can can lay in a plastic boot fill with sand( DRY.) i,ve put in some 2inch by 2 inch battens 600 centres laid on my boards level with the sand you can put in another pvc membrane under first , its called a floating floor .. turned an old milk house into a granny house floor level was up an down and deep in places booted it with pvc dry sand 25 years ago old dears dead now. floors perfect. booted the walls as well draped plastic down it strips of wood 600mm centres plasterboard still lovely. before you put up any wall covering inside or out boot it with pvc also ceilings if your putting up plasterboard hit it on with a hammer stapler put in the staples chap away. pvc on in no time. but your in texas am in scotland rain rain and more rain.

custom_co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 02:21 AM   #3
renovations

custom, I suspect that you really know your stuff, but it's hard to be sure without punctuation and paragraphs. I read it twice and am still confused on some things. Maybe it's just me.
Bonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 01:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonus View Post
custom, I suspect that you really know your stuff, but it's hard to be sure without punctuation and paragraphs. I read it twice and am still confused on some things. Maybe it's just me.
is it canada you are in / my sister stays in canada / just slice it up in sections had to rattle it out quick . i prefer drawings myself... but i,ve never sent pictures or drawings over the net. as of yet. i believe in simplicity and get the same results. we build kit homes and at present erecting steel framed 6 floor house in edinburgh, scotland. give me a clue on which is not understandable and i will try to clarify or better still send your address to buildkithomes@hotmail.co.uk and i will pop some detail plans in the post covering details that will keep you in good stead...regards mike
Old 01-06-2007, 09:23 PM   #5
remodeling pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonus View Post
Yea, he must have driven his English teacher to drink with punctuation like that. As best I interpret it, it is basiclly instructions for a mud bed similiar to that used to level a floor for tile installation. I think
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 07:45 PM   #6

Based on what CustomCo says (or other suggestions in a vernacular more familiar to us slow-thinking Texans), can I just resurface the 10x12 slab with concrete, or some kind of self-leveling concrete-like product from Home Despot, and then frame on top of that?
austinbirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 12:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinbirdman View Post
Based on what CustomCo says (or other suggestions in a vernacular more familiar to us slow-thinking Texans), can I just resurface the 10x12 slab with concrete, or some kind of self-leveling concrete-like product from Home Despot, and then frame on top of that?
custom_co again.. all wet mix of cement and sand is self leveling / but as stated if any part is to hold a wall it is advised to make proper concrete say shutter 200mm deep by 600mm wide for single wall and 750mm wide for double wall i am taking it that there will be a wall round the area in question also if in canada or this is for canadians the depth the frost goes down build a cellar and put your found down there if not 450mm deep to the top of your foundation should be fine. as for shortcuts remember the stories about about 3 little piggies and the wolf / bringing to mind remember to fit wind ties to your house last week a minor gale flattened double walled buildings in scotland. good luck. mike
Old 01-08-2007, 12:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by custom_co View Post
custom_co again.. all wet mix of cement and sand is self leveling / but as stated if any part is to hold a wall it is advised to make proper concrete say shutter 200mm deep by 600mm wide for single wall and 750mm wide for double wall i am taking it that there will be a wall round the area in question also if in canada or this is for canadians the depth the frost goes down build a cellar and put your found down there if not 450mm deep to the top of your foundation should be fine. as for shortcuts remember the stories about about 3 little piggies and the wolf / bringing to mind remember to fit wind ties to your house last week a minor gale flattened double walled buildings in scotland. good luck. mike
p.s. and lay in steel reinforcing in the concrete 2 layers is best but if you only one layer of reinforcing put in at 70mm from base of concrete secondly if on built up earth take your found right down to solid ...