Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-17-2010, 04:52 PM   #1

Share |

Bad idea to build a wood shed in the rainy season?

I live in the SF Bay Area. It's the raining season here right now. We need to build a wood shed (probably 10x12', prefab wood shed). Our yard is not level and soil has clay in it. Is it okay that we build a shed in between rains?

I think using concrete blocks is the easiest way to lay the foundation for us. And we've checked out some sheds from Home Depot and Lowes. Do people have better suggestions on how we can get a decent sized shed built up economically under time pressure?

Thank you!

mudworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 08:24 PM   #2

well, if you want a prefab shed it will probably come fully assembled and would be forklifted to the site, and sit on PT 4X4 sleepers right on the ground or maybe a gravel bed under the 4X4s.

if you're wanting to build one from scratch with a real foundation, or at least four concrete piers in sonnotubes, i don't see any reason why you can't do this in the rainy season.

just make a little tarp tent, dig your holes, pour the concrete. keep it dry for a week. then you're good to go.

as long as temps don't get below freezing, you'll be fine.

FWIW: my neighbor and i built a 10X12 shed three years ago. it's sitting on four large stones set right on grade, and the rim joists scribed onto the stones. the structure hasn't moved in three years. granted, for the small cost and minimal labor in pouring piers, i would never do it this way again.

good luck.

wombosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 01:43 AM   #3

Or, put down some gravel for drainage, 4" or so, then set the shed on pier blocks. Who cares if it moves a little? If it is not plumbed and wired, then let is wiggle around a tad. That said, that won't do much to stop earthquake-induced movement! If you are worried about that, then you have a huge job on your hands. Probably not worth it.
jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 11:08 AM   #4

I built a 10x12x12 this summer out of reclaimed lumber, including weathered barn boards. It was a lot of work. A lot of time. And over $1,000 in materials for our "free shed". In the end, I'm super happy with it, but to build a quality shed under time constraints .... not being experienced I couldn't have done it.
tbeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote