Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-14-2010, 06:36 PM   #1

Share |

Bad deck construction needs repair

I have a client who had and existing deck extended. The old deck was built with joists that extented out from foundation of the house tied into the floor joists of the first floor of the house.

The contractor who built the deck, cut the existing joist about two feet from the outside wall, lapped the new joist to the old joist about 1 foot and secured it with 1 1/2 inch bolt and 4 deck screws.

I would like to add a new joist that extends back into the house and sits on the foundation wall and extends under the deck along side the existing joist. However, I do not want to extend it all the way to the outside of the deck.

What I need to know is how much of and overlap do I need properly support the active load? I had planned on glueing and bolting the joists.

The length of the existing joists vary from 4ft to 16ft.

Thanks.

Photohv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 07:15 PM   #2

What holds up the other end of these joists (opposite end to those engaged with the home's foundation)? Are these all cantilevered or are they supported by another beam system?

bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:09 PM   #3
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

In all honesty, you are dealing with a structural matter. In most areas, such work requires a building permit, and the work performed by a licensed or certified contractor (not to mention experienced).

I could be wrong, but it sounds like you are attempting to do something that you should not be doing as an inexperienced "hired" individual, who is not the property owner.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 09:33 PM   #4

They are supported by another beam system. The basic problem is the lapped joists next to the house is inadequate. I am looking to alternatives to tearing down the deck and rebuilding it.

Thanks.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:40 PM   #5

AtlanticWBConstruction

Actually, I am a licensed and bonded General Contractor with a good deal of experience building home additions and interior remodeling. I do have some ideas myself to solve this problem, but I am attempting to use the collective intelligence of this forum to gleam potential other solutions that I may have not thought about.

Do you have anything to offer that might be helpful?
Old 07-15-2010, 03:47 AM   #6
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

First off, I am not really sure that I understand what you are trying to do.

On the point of supporting a cantilevered balcony deck;

We have always gone by the rule of 3X (minimum 2:1). What ever length you intend to cantilever, you extend back in, 2x to 3X that (2:1 - 3:1)...or to the furthest extent as possible.

Link (pages 11-12): http://www.orgsites.com/ct/strober/IRC2003Floor.pdf

Quote:
IRC:
b. Ratio of backspan to cantilever span shall be at least 2:1.
c. Connections capable of resisting the indicated uplift force shall be provided at the backspan support.
d. Uplift force is for a backspan to cantilever span ratio of 2:1. Tabulated uplift values are permitted to be reduced by multiplying by a factor equal to2 divided by the actual backspan ratio provided (2/backspan ratio).
e. A full-depth rim joist shall be provided at the cantilevered end of the joists. Solid blocking shall be provided at the
cantilevered support.
Example: We did a repair on an apt balcony last fall. The deck extended out 6', we carried the joists in 10' and bracketeted to a perpendicular beam. We went in through the floor to do it. We lagged the new PT joists to the interior joists. Installed blocking, sealed exterior penetration points (Brick & mortar with Polyurethane sealant), etc - All inspections passed.

We are planning a large addition this fall, with the same type of arrangement.

As you know - With a permit, you will be required to submit the structural design you are proposing, prior to the permit being issued...So, whatever you are planning on doing, will either be shot down, or, approved, or, may require an engineer's review & stamp.

Again - I am not sure I understand what it is, you are trying to do.

Good Luck.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 09:41 AM   #7

Post pictures of what currently exists.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote