Bad Damage To Area In Lower Level - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-02-2010, 01:53 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Bad damage to area in lower level

There is a storage area in my lower level closed off by a door. This is the length of front porch and aprox 3-4' wide. This is in the front of the house under the front porch. When you go into this area and look up the wood and joists are damaged by dew/frost mold only aprox 4-6 joists area. aprox 2-3' into the room. Now I ask if the front porch is above this how can I repair this? ....it doesnt look like I can go from down to up working from the lower level up or can I? it seems that the joists are damaged the wood above is damaged, how can I stop this from happening again? And how can I repair this? Thank you for your input/help

Advertisement

68MHJCs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 03:02 PM   #2
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,180

Post photographs and a sketch of the framing. Sounds like you have a water intrusion issue, but without photos and a plan it is impossible to make forward progress on what the issues are and how to fix them.

Advertisement

Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 12:14 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 150

I was concentrating on the area closest to the outside of the home and the ceiling which would be the flooring under the front porch. I also see now that the whole piece is just as bad. So it is the joists and the WHOLE AREA OF WOOD that lays under the front porch. So it is the area where the porch meets the outside the joists and it continues all across the wood that is over my head which is the wood under the front porch to the ceiling going into the next room. There is frost on the beams and you will se from the pics damp wood possibly mold.
68MHJCs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 12:30 PM   #4
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,282

Quote:
So it is the joists and the WHOLE AREA OF WOOD that lays under the front porch.
Ayuh,... Is this the Underside of the porch floor,..??
Or a Seperate layer, under the porch floor...

Either way, working Down through the porch floor is probably the easiest, best way to go...
Bondo is online now   Reply With Quote