Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-24-2008, 10:04 AM   #1

Share |

Bad Concrete in Fence Post Holes - Advice?

Hi All,

We had about 30 6x6 10ft posts installed about 3 weeks ago. Fence guys showed up with a mini concrete mixer trailer (they mixed at site). They went down 3 feet with the holes and poured concrete.

Currently the concrete still appears very damp and crumbles when I tap it with hammer. When I broke a piece off, I found twigs in the concrete. I assume they tried stretching the batch will backfill soil (clay) and extra water.

Question is, Can I ignore this? I've heard of people using gravel instead on concrete which is kind of what I have now. I live in Saskatchewan Canada where the winters can get down to -35C. Just concerned how the fence posts will look after a couple of years.

Thanks in advance

Bill
bcrenshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 10:23 AM   #2
Whatamess

I would have him redo the work if possible. The dirt itself will actually settle and tighten the post fine but that is not what you paid for.
Old 08-24-2008, 11:21 AM   #3

We're probably in the same climate zone as you are (Zone 7, I think) and here, we put the fenceposts down 4 feet, to account for frost heave...Now we get winters, but nothing like your winters so I would have thought 4-feet deep to be standard, but I guess not. Was there a contract?
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote