Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-03-2011, 02:20 PM   #1

Share |

Bad concrete

I had concrete work done for a garage and it cracked to next day and continues to crack three months later. The prep work was done correctly as per Ventura County Calif. B.S. The contractor had no idea why it cracked so much and so fast. I going to call the concrete supplier as soon a I can get some information from you folks. P.S. the weather that day 74 perfect for this kind of work. Thanks Steve

Granpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 04:08 PM   #2

Bad concrete

It would help if you stated what the prep work was instead of just saying it was done correctly, because something wasn't(done correctly).

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 05:41 PM   #3

Bad concrete

Are these hairline cracks? Shrinkage cracks are normal. Is the garage built on it now?
Broughton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 08:26 PM   #4

Bad concrete

It was the prep work was done to building safety's standards and yes the garage is built. I've had alot of concrete done over the years and have not had cracking this in such a short amount of time. I'm thinking it has to much recycled products or not enough portland cement.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:34 PM   #5

Bad concrete

I've done some forensic studies on concrete failure and there are so many possible causes. Any pics?
Broughton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 01:51 PM   #6
Concrete & Masonry

Bad concrete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granpa View Post
I had concrete work done for a garage and it cracked to next day and continues to crack three months later.

I could write on a novel on the accelerated set of concrete over the last few years, but I type too slowly. A visible crack the next day is somewhat rare, but certainly not unheard of. There are a number of ways to control this, such as "control" joints and proper curing of the concrete. Were control joints installed? Was it cured in any fashion?

The prep work was done correctly as per Ventura County Calif. B.S. The contractor had no idea why it cracked so much and so fast. I going to call the concrete supplier as soon a I can get some information from you folks. P.S. the weather that day 74 perfect for this kind of work. Thanks Steve
Unless you purchased the concrete directly from the ready-mix supplier, you really should be communicating with the contractor who you have a contract with. I say this from experience, as I once had a customer who decided to completely side-step me & go directly to the supplier. I actually found out about the problem a week or so later from the supplier. Things didn't go well because of the approach the homeowner took. I, as a contractor who pours a few thousand yards of concrete with that specific supplier, have far more pull with the supplier, and can certainly get superior results.
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 02:17 PM   #7

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

Bad concrete

Granpa -

The local standards (codes or building and safety) usually determine the materials used, thicknesses, etc. to make it legal and keep you out of jail. They are minimum standards and not necessarily the right way to do it.

The preparations, placement and finishing or the planning may also be a cause for the "cracks".

Was there a permit and any inspections?

Dick
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 03:10 PM   #8

Bad concrete

I told the contractor frist about the the cracks he could not explain the problem and said he was sorry. I trust this contractor and watched every step. I told him if does my drive way do not use this ready mix co. And a premit was pulled. The same thing happen to a friend of mine but the ready mix co. denied any was wrong doing it just happens. I think if I would have a core sample analyzed then go to court, more costs. I think they got me by the short hairs.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:24 PM   #9
Concrete & Masonry

Bad concrete

Did he saw, or tool, control joints in it? If so, when? How big is the floor? How big are the squares, if he did saw them?
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 05:20 PM   #10

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

Bad concrete

A core sample will do nothing to show it was the fault of the ready-mix company. The contractor is responsible for the placement, finishing, reinforcement AND any addition of extra water to make the job easier.

Many ready-mix companies do require that a delivery ticket must be initialed by the contractor that extra water is added. This is usually done as added insurance from poor preparation, planning and placement/finishing that the supplier has no control over.

Jomama45 accurately addressed the jointing that should have been determined in advance since it is critical for slab.

Dick
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 06:43 AM   #11
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Bad concrete

What strength mix did you get. was the load hot when it was being poured,
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 06:53 AM   #12
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Bad concrete

Quote:
Originally Posted by concretemasonry View Post
A core sample will do nothing to show it was the fault of the ready-mix company.
Dick
if I ordered a 4000lb mix and the core sample showes a 2000lb mix I think i have a case.
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 11:28 AM   #13

Bad concrete

99% of the time the batch plant didn't screw up. Period. Batch plants are highly automated and what they say you got on the ticket is what you got. The only way to prove otherwise is to take samples at the time of placement and have them professionally tested...Too late for that.

Was it windy that day? Hot and sunny? Did the contractor add more water? Did he use curing compound on it? Did he protect it from water loss after placement? There are a million factors that can ruin a concrete job after it leaves the batch plant, is trucked to the site and placed. The strongest batch of concrete can end up at a fraction of its design strength due to less than perfect curing conditions. And just about all of those factors point directly at less than idea practices or choices by the concrete contractor.

The inspector checks for subgrade prep, forms and reinforcement, but even if all that is perfect and exceeds code by a mile....The contractor carries the responsibility of truly knowing the science of concrete and knowing how to place it, when to place it, and when to call off the load for a variety of reasons.

I understand that you trust your contractor and feel that he knows his stuff. But if your slab is cracking excessively, the fault is on him and he's the one that needs to make it right.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 11:36 AM   #14

Bad concrete

Quote:
Originally Posted by buletbob View Post
if I ordered a 4000lb mix and the core sample showes a 2000lb mix I think i have a case.
Not necessarily. Then you'd have to have all sorts of 3rd party on-site reports proving that the concrete was placed properly, protected, cured properly, etc. Because otherwise all you have is a core sample of a concrete job that might have been placed wrong. Without test cylinders you don't have much of a case. And you rarely see test cylinders taken on a residential job.

The only guaranteed way to prove the batch plant screwed up (and make it stick) is to have an ACI certified person (preferrably 3rd party) take test cylinders right off the truck during the pour. Those cylinders are then properly cured under ideal conditions and tested for compressive strength at later dates. The concrete would also be tested for air, slump, etc. during the pour using ACI methods.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Termite For This Useful Post:
Granpa (08-05-2011)
Old 08-05-2011, 02:31 PM   #15

Bad concrete

Thanks everyone for you input, I'll just have live with it.