Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-28-2013, 10:50 PM   #1

Share |

Backyard Privacy, Pergola, Lattice

I would like privacy from the neighbors. As you can see in the photos, I have a neighbor in the back, and a neighbor on the side.

I will put a pergola over the main cemented patio, which is already private from the tree and tall shrub. For the area in the photos, I would like to have a small round table. For privacy, I was thinking of using a few 4x8 lattices in an L shape. Maybe an L shape that is 12 feet parallel to the back fence and 8 feet perpendicular. The 8 feet high lattice should be high enough for some privacy. I would probably need 5 4x4 posts.

Any better ideas or photo ideas?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Backyard Privacy, Pergola, Lattice-back1.jpg   Backyard Privacy, Pergola, Lattice-back2.jpg   Backyard Privacy, Pergola, Lattice-back3.jpg   Backyard Privacy, Pergola, Lattice-back-before.jpg  

greentrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:05 PM   #2

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...s&FORM=RESTAB#

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:57 AM   #3

I found a few ideas from the links that were provided. The L Lattice photo with the small table is what I was thinking of but with a higher lattice. The other two photos show lattices that look like they are 6 feet high. I was thinking 8 feet high would be nice, but not sure if the area is too small for the height.

The larger L design photo looks nice, but I will not have cement laid in that area. I will thinking of putting gravel down, with a few rocks as in the photo.

To put up a lattice, do I need to use 4x4 posts with cement, or can I put a board across the top, without worrying it will not move or fall down.

Also, if there are other possible ideas, it would be helpful.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Backyard Privacy, Pergola, Lattice-lattice-t.jpg   Backyard Privacy, Pergola, Lattice-lattice2.jpg   Backyard Privacy, Pergola, Lattice-pea-gravel.jpg  
Attached Images

Old 03-29-2013, 11:16 AM   #4
Stuck in the 70's

Where exactly are you going to position these lattices? IMHO adding anything inside the fence will look awful cluttered.
I'd map it out.

Maybe a gazebo with removable fabric walls or screens you can put up or down as needed.

Last edited by Blondesense; 03-29-2013 at 11:18 AM.
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:30 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondesense View Post
Where exactly are you going to position these lattices? IMHO adding anything inside the fence will look awful cluttered.
I'd map it out.

Maybe a gazebo with removable fabric walls or screens you can put up or down as needed.
A Gazebo would be nice, but it is a lot of wood and I wanted a simple solution.

The lattices might cause a lot of clutter also, so that was my concern. It would go inside the fence, about five feet, where the dirt area is. I could fit a 12 x 8 foot lattice structure in that area.

Ideally a lineup of scrubs would be best, but that would take several years. One thought I had was to build the lattice, plant the shrubs and than evenually take down the lattice at some point (maybe 3-5 years later). I did put a japanese maple tree on the back fence (you can see it in one of the photos), so I could possibly plant another one, but they are not evergreen.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:28 PM   #6
Stuck in the 70's

I was thinking more of a metal one. It wouldn't look as bulky.

http://images.google.com/search?hl=e...mg.dKm5je8k-1A
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondesense View Post
I was thinking more of a metal one. It wouldn't look as bulky.

http://images.google.com/search?hl=e...mg.dKm5je8k-1A
I didn't think about a metal gazebo. I think some of these are portable, so I can put it up in the summer and take it down in the winter. And I don't have to lay any cement.

Thanks for the idea. I'll have to look online to see what might fit in the area....and also buy some shrubs to start growing.
Old 03-29-2013, 04:48 PM   #8

Looks like you have enough fencing as it is. Like the above poster said, a gazebo is about the only other option you have left outside of moving out to the country.
Metro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:25 PM   #9

http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/2035568...4#.UVZpJsu9KK0

BleachCola is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lattice privacy pergola