Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-11-2009, 02:15 PM   #1

Share |

Back Splash Tile Help

My wife and I are planning on putting up a back splash in our kitchen. We have never done this before and are planning on renting a wet saw to help with the cuts.

From the picture below, could I please get people's feedback on how hard it is to work this kind of tile. The guy at home depot told us it is Marble. From the counter top to the cabinet, it would take 1 sheet of tile and 1 row from a sheet - on the 1 row, we would need to cut off 3/8 of an inch, which is not much and I am nervous trying to make that small of a cut.

Thank you for any suggestions.
Attached Thumbnails
Back Splash Tile Help-n735016412_2405695_2138.jpg  

Last edited by TTran; 01-11-2009 at 02:18 PM.
TTran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 03:08 PM   #2

Back Splash Tile Help

You would make the cut off a full sheet to give you greater stability. Then you would separate the row off the sheet when you were done. A good wet saw with a new blade will cut through marble with the greatest of ease.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 03:14 PM   #3

Back Splash Tile Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
You would make the cut off a full sheet to give you greater stability. Then you would separate the row off the sheet when you were done. A good wet saw with a new blade will cut through marble with the greatest of ease.
Ron
Hello Ron

I just noticed this wet-saw on Home Depot's site. Seems it would be fairly easy with this particular wet-saw as it seems both top and bottom of the blades are covers and there is a guide on it. Can I get your feedback on if this would be a easy wet-saw to use.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...ctId=100658259

Thank you for your response.
Tran
Old 01-11-2009, 03:18 PM   #4
K&B Remodeler/Tile Guy

Back Splash Tile Help

First of all, you should get an appropriate sealer and apply BEFORE you install the tile. Here's the sealer I like to use:
http://www2.dupont.com/Stone_Tech_Pr...ty_sealer.html
Follow the directions carefully. You can seal again after you've grouted (allow the grout to cure first).

A wet saw will work just fine. Remember to go slow. What might help you is to buy a landscaping brick and run it slowly through the tile saw a few times before you begin cutting. It's called dressing the blade. Think of it as sharpening it. I'm fairly certain a rental saw will not have been cared for all that well. That's why I suggest dressing the blade.

What kind of grout did you plan on using?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
angus242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 03:20 PM   #5
K&B Remodeler/Tile Guy

Back Splash Tile Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTran View Post
Hello Ron

I just noticed this wet-saw on Home Depot's site. Seems it would be fairly easy with this particular wet-saw as it seems both top and bottom of the blades are covers and there is a guide on it. Can I get your feedback on if this would be a easy wet-saw to use.

Tran
I'd spend the extra few dollars and rent this one:
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...3+90401+526419

A much better quality saw will 1) be easier to use and 2) give you a better cut.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-11-2009, 03:30 PM   #6

Back Splash Tile Help

Quote:
Hello Ron

Tran
The issue you would have with the table you picked out is that you need to push the tile through the blade. Sometimes that's hard to do with a mosaic tile because the backing is too flexible and it will bunch up. The saw Angus picked out has the tile on the table and you push the whole sheet through the blade on the table.
The table should be large enough to support the whole sheet for safety reasons. Your machine would be good for regular tiles up to maybe 6".
Ron
Old 01-11-2009, 03:44 PM   #7

Back Splash Tile Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by angus242 View Post
First of all, you should get an appropriate sealer and apply BEFORE you install the tile. Here's the sealer I like to use:
http://www2.dupont.com/Stone_Tech_Pr...ty_sealer.html
Follow the directions carefully. You can seal again after you've grouted (allow the grout to cure first).

A wet saw will work just fine. Remember to go slow. What might help you is to buy a landscaping brick and run it slowly through the tile saw a few times before you begin cutting. It's called dressing the blade. Think of it as sharpening it. I'm fairly certain a rental saw will not have been cared for all that well. That's why I suggest dressing the blade.

What kind of grout did you plan on using?
Its called "Simple Grout - Pre-Mixed Grout" I walked in HDepot and told the people there that I need help picking out everything since I have never done this before, he did provide me with a sealer for the tile - thank you for your suggestion. I have everything I need to do the job except for the saw.
Old 01-11-2009, 03:48 PM   #8

Back Splash Tile Help

Quote:
The issue you would have with the table you picked out is that you need to push the tile through the blade. Sometimes that's hard to do with a mosaic tile because the backing is too flexible and it will bunch up. The saw Angus picked out has the tile on the table and you push the whole sheet through the blade on the table.
The table should be large enough to support the whole sheet for safety reasons. Your machine would be good for regular tiles up to maybe 6".
Ron
Thank you for your and Angus's suggestion on the saw. I will definitely rent the better one.

Sorry guys, I have never worked with the wet-saw before and its just making me nervous - I want to find out what would be the EASIEST route. Everything else seems fairly easy except for the cutting.

Thank you again everyone for your help. Any other feedback or anything would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-11-2009, 04:08 PM   #9

Back Splash Tile Help

I would rethink the, pre-mixed grout. I would never use it on any tile job I do.
Ron
Old 01-11-2009, 04:30 PM   #10
K&B Remodeler/Tile Guy

Back Splash Tile Help

Quote:
I would rethink the, pre-mixed grout. I would never use it on any tile job I do.
Ron
I second that!

Edit: Premixed anything with tile isn't a good idea. You'd be better off using this product:
http://www.custombuildingproducts.co...er=diy&lang=en

color of your choice. Buy a bucket to mix this in. Follow instructions to a "T" from the label and you'll be better off! You can use unsanded as long as the grout joints will be under 1/8".

Last edited by angus242; 01-11-2009 at 04:38 PM.
Old 01-11-2009, 05:16 PM   #11

Back Splash Tile Help

Sounds like I will have to take it back the Pre-Mix Grout back. For my knowledge....why would you guys not use the Pre-mix?
Old 01-11-2009, 06:49 PM   #12
K&B Remodeler/Tile Guy

Back Splash Tile Help

Quote:
Sounds like I will have to take it back the Pre-Mix Grout back. For my knowledge....why would you guys not use the Pre-mix?

Don't just take my word for it:
http://www.floorstransformed.com/pre...t-thinset.html

Old 01-11-2009, 06:51 PM   #13

Back Splash Tile Help

not to muddy the waters, but we just finished a small area of backsplash, we bought the material at Lowes, as long as I bought the tile there, they cut for free. I messed up the measurements the first time, bought more, they kept cutting for free. Not as fun I guess as doing the cuts yourself but worked for me.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:42 PM   #14

Back Splash Tile Help

If you cut the tiles yourself - get a bag of tile spacers the same width as the space in your tiles (the foam ones). Place one or two in each of the spaces on the row of tiles your cutting. Obviously back from the cut line a little. It will help prevent the tiles from flexing so much as you cut them.

A good grout to look into is Laticrete Spectra Lock from Lowes - look for the small buckets and the quart milk cartons....

Three part mix that applies easily and is stain resistant - never need sealing. I used in my daughters bath and she's been unable to ruin it yet.
Rivethead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 11:12 PM   #15
K&B Remodeler/Tile Guy

Back Splash Tile Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivethead View Post
A good grout to look into is Laticrete Spectra Lock from Lowes - look for the small buckets and the quart milk cartons....

Three part mix that applies easily and is stain resistant - never need sealing. I used in my daughters bath and she's been unable to ruin it yet.
A very good grout! Very expensive! Maybe 8-10 x's more than traditional portland cement based grout. It may darken your tiles. The epoxy resins can affect the color of natural stone.