Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-24-2013, 04:58 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Awning Beam And Joists

I want to build an awning over a patio. the awning will follow the roof pitch and extend 15' from house. It will be 19' wide. I would like to place 2 6x6 posts 13' 9" from house and 14 '6" apart. That will give me about 1' overhang on the end. It will have a sheeted and shingled roof.
1. Can I use 2x6' on 12 or 16" centers for joists from house to beam and past beam appx 1'?

2.I would like to use a 6x6 for the beam (looks mainly) as well but not sure if it is up to the task. the joists will be sitting on top of the beam. I also thought about a triple layer 2x8 or 2x10 and them just wrap in something to help it cosmetically. Also considered a triple wide 1.75" LVL, not sure of the height yet. Really would like to build it with only 2 posts The psf couldn't be very high on something like this Iv tried figuring it and come up somewhere around 10-12. Any input is great.

Tyrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:21 AM   #2
AHH, SPANS!!!

Rewards Points: 1,032

Awning Beam And Joists

for posts at each side of the beam I'd go with double lvl for sure. not sure what size lvl though, maybe someone here can help you with that. you will need 45 degree bracing from the posts onto the beam for lateral support.

hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 11:12 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

Awning Beam And Joists

At 2x6, your rafters are far too small on a 15ft span.
A 6x6 main beam might also deflect excessively on a 14+ft span.
You mention a load of 10-12 psf; is this just dead load, and have you considered snow load?
What does your local code stipulate?
tony.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 12:46 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Awning Beam And Joists

I live in a small community and I called the city they basically said there was nothing for me to do if I was just building an awning and patio. So I really don't know what code stipulates here. The unsupported span of the rafters is 13' 6" so that's how I would need to figure my rafters for size and spacing correct? I have no problem using 2x8 either. 10 PSF is a dead load figure and with a snow load it could probably be double that so 20 psf is possibly a better figure thanks for bringing that up. I would think a triple lvl with 45 degree bracing would hold something like this up, but that's why I came here to ask.
You should hear some of the ways contractors around here would build this...not good. This is part of the reason I want to build it on my own, plus I enjoy it.
Tyrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:41 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 618

Awning Beam And Joists

This is not an awning. It is a roof.

I just got done building a 12x20 pergola which may get a roof later.

I made it independent of the house. I have beams which span 18' and I built them out of 3 2x12's with 1/2" plywood sandwiched in between, so they worked out to 5 1/2" thick.

I spanned 12' with 2x6's 12" o.c. I cantilevered them about 18" on each end, so they don't actually span 12', more like 9'.

In the meantime, I have been noticing carports and what not around town which I can't understand are still standing. They have no 45 degree bracing and very little structure.

I guess these things do collapse from time to time when wet snow comes.
cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote