Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-09-2010, 08:45 PM   #1

Share |

Auralex resilient channel

Has anybody used this stuff before. I am getting ready to build a cabin for my own use and thought I might soundproof between up and down stairs and bathrooms. This stuff is pretty cheap (compared to sound proof insulation which I do not like to use in floor joists to much stuff in there ). Anyway how good does it work and can I really put it on 24" centers on the ceiling ( I know the instructions say I can but is it strong enough). My floor joists are going to be 11 7/8" bci 6000 1.7 df 16" on center.
warnerww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 05:39 AM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

you install it perpendicular to the existing joists. It works but using something like QuietRock drywall will work much better. If installing 24" OC then use 5/8" sheetrock.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 04:47 PM   #3

I have been reading about quietrock es. It sounds great ( it is cut like normal sheetrock ). But I can not find a price on the stuff anywhere. I called a couple of places and they do not carry it. Does anyone now about how much this stuff costs. I realize it will vary from location to location but I am trying to get a ball park figure so I can decide if it is worth my time to pursue it.
warnerww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 09:12 PM   #4
Remodeling Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by warnerww View Post
I have been reading about quietrock es. It sounds great ( it is cut like normal sheetrock ). But I can not find a price on the stuff anywhere. I called a couple of places and they do not carry it. Does anyone now about how much this stuff costs. I realize it will vary from location to location but I am trying to get a ball park figure so I can decide if it is worth my time to pursue it.
About 3-4 times the cost of regular sheetrock with 5 times better sound deadening.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote