Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-14-2008, 11:40 AM   #1

Share |

Attic ventilation question

I will be insulating between the rafters of my attic, and know that I need to use those pre-molded channels that allow air to circulate from the soffit vents to the ridge vent. My question is, how many of them do I need to do? Every rafter space? every third rafter space? 20% of the rafter spaces? Right now, I plan on doing them all, but that's a lot of money and effort. Thanks for any insight.
tpagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 01:50 PM   #2

Every rafter space would be overkill. Put one anywhere you have a soffit vent, so that vent communicates with the attic. Depending on how your soffits are framed, your soffits may or may not only breathe through the rafter space and not horizontally.

You certainly can't have enough attic ventilation, so I would advocate putting in as many as you can stand, if your framing will allow them to be effective.

If this work is being inspected, there are minimum attic ventilation requirements in the code (relative to square area of vents to area of attic) that I won't bore you with.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 03:15 PM   #3

The entire soffit area at the underside of the eaves are those slotted soffit vent panels, so I could certainly do each rafter space. A new roof is going on in a week or so, and that means a new continuous ridge vent is being installed. I neglected to add (sorry) that I am going to be finishing out the attic into a "loft" living area, so there will be a hard finish material, probably T&G wood ceiling below the insulation. I assume that changes the equation a bit?
tpagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 11:17 PM   #4

It does change it quite a bit.

Will you have any attic space left, either above the finished space or in the low-headroom areas at the bottom end of the rafters? If so, you definately need to cross-ventilate it. If you're stuffing batt insulation in the rafters above the ceiling of the new space, there's not much point in using the baffles to cross-ventilate the attic/soffit. The more space you can create in the rafters (by furring down), the better. If you're in a hot climate you'll appreciate the higher R factor in the attic room.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 12:22 AM   #5
BuilderRemodeler

Do you like extra effort and lower $?

Often there are O.S.B or plywood scraps left over on the job site.

They can be ripped to a common width less than your average size by at least 1/2" is suggested. (Perhaps 22")

You can use a table saw or with a circular saw.

Option 2 you can tack or screw 4 - 5 sheets together and cut at once with a 2 x 4 guide.

2 x 4's scraps ripped in half and ripped to 1 1/4" can be stapled to the plywood.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
BuilderRemodeler
40 pages of useful Home Remodeling Charts, Home Addition Guidelines, Home Painting Tips, How to Determine a Deck Size and Build Your Deck Online!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

One Story Ranch Detailed Free Home Plans
darylbrands is offline   Reply With Quote