Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-12-2009, 04:39 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Attic ventilation

I recently opted in for an upgrade on my attic insulation. At an added expense beyond the bid I was given I opted in for the installation of baffles at the edges of the roof to stop the migration of the blown fiberglass onto the soffit and also to insure adequate ventilation of the attic. I have "turtle" type vents near the ridge and also have a thermostatically controlled power vent for the hot season. By design, the vented soffit is supposed to allow cooler air in from the outside under the eaves and the turtle vents to accommodate the outflow of the warmer air out of the top thus making for efficient venting of the attic.
My problem is that upon examining the job done by the insulation contractor, I find that he as allowed the insulation to cover the soffit thus closing off the influx of the air from the vented areas of the soffit. I live in a fairly dry climate (Northern Utah) but have concerns about changing the dynamics of the airflow.
I would appreciate hearing your thoughts.
Thanks

rchrst01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 06:59 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Attic ventilation

I assume the baffles you mentioned should allow the air up from the soffit. They are also called proper vents.
If you look close you should see a thin foam panel between each roof truss. These hold the insulation back enough to allow are flow from the soffit.

Time to Get Up Out of Your Chair and Do it Yourself! ArmchairDIY.com
ArmchairDIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 05:50 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Attic ventilation

If the baffles are some sort of screen that is blocking the rafter bay, and the insulation is completely covering this baffle, then yes, the draft has been interrupted. Those baffles are meant to contain incidental overspray, and future settling of the insulation material into the soffit. They are not meant as a stop for the contractor to spray insulation against. Any blockage needs to be pulled away from the edges. The power vent might do this on its own, if there aren't gable vents, but it may just free the airflow in one or two rafter cavities, to get the air that it needs.
CustomBuild is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air flow, attic, attic moisture, attic ventilation, insulation