Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-04-2012, 12:54 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

attic ventilation?

First a bit of background...

2 years ago this fall I had a new HVAC system put in my house. Since I had put it installed in the fall, I didn't get much of a chance to use the AC.

The next spring I installed new shingles on the roof. There was an existing powered attic fan that was no longer working. I decided to pull it out and install a continuous ridge vent instead.

Then as the heat of the summer started, I was under whelmed with my new AC's ability to cool the house. I feel the old AC when it was functional, did a quicker/better job of getting the house cooled down.

The company came out to do an assessment to see what could be done to improve my AC. The owner of the company mentioned that a powered attic fan was equivalent to 0.5 tons of cooling. (Although their sizing calcs did not include a powered attic vent.)

Anyways, I have been thinking about re-installing a powered attic fan. What do you guys think? Will an attic fan help?

Will the ridge vents pose a problem (intaking air from the ridge instead of soffits)? I read a product review on an attic fan and the guy said that was a problem (at least with that model...although I doubt it would matter which model). At the same time, heat rises I have to figure it doesn't matter where the air comes from as much as just getting the hot air out of the roof peak.

Any suggestions on a model?

Are the solar attic fans any good? I already have power there, so its not a big deal one way or the other, but I am all for saving a few $$ on the energy bill.

jimsflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 02:11 PM   #2
Residential Designer

Send a message via Skype™ to AndyGump

attic ventilation?

My opinion is for you to save money on not buying a useless attic fan and instead spend the money on sealing the air leaks from the ceilings to the attic space and install more insulation.

Of course this is all very generic advice form someone that does not know where you live and has not made a study of your house energy needs.

Andy.

Old 07-04-2012, 05:34 PM   #3

attic ventilation?

Powered attic fans create a negative pressure in the attic, encouraging conditioned air to leak in and bring water vapor with it. I suspect that is why Andy suggested not using one. Do you have soffit vents as well? Yes, air seal and insulate w/ cellulose.
jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jklingel For This Useful Post:
AndyGump (07-04-2012)
Old 07-04-2012, 06:18 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 20

attic ventilation?

Agreed but if there is not enough soffit vents or there blocked with insulation no amount of venting will work correctly.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote