Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-19-2012, 12:36 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Attic Stairs - Diagram included

I am going to put in a pull down attic ladder. I have put it in our hallway and to do this I need to cut through 2 Joists. Below is the diagram I worked up (not an draftsman so forgive me for the crude layout). Does anyone see any problem with the design? is it over/under built? also sorry if I misspelled anything .

I'm not really sure if I need that many joist hangers. Could I just nail into the support joists from the outside?

any help would be very appreciated. Thank you!

JPDIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:15 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,340

Really need a picture of your roofing, due to not all use joists, some use manufactured framing members that cannot be cut.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:33 PM   #3

Sorry about not including this. It's an older house, no prefab framing, all 2x6 joists. roof and floor both.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:07 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

I would cut pieces to fit and attach beteween the joist members, so when you cut to attach the 2x6 for the rough opening, they do not spread. Another way is to attach a 2x4 across, nail into the members, cut for rough opening, attach framing to finish.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 11-19-2012, 05:44 PM   #5
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,474

I think it's a little of both....

You don't need the short stubs on each side.

Instead of the double 2x6's as headers....I would use a 4x6....and instead of nails, I would a Simpson Hanger....

Biggest issue.....you need to double up the joists on both sides....the ones that are not cut. They are basically doing the work of the missing joists....

I guess there is no way you can move it over just a bit so you only have to cut one joist?

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:55 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 4,152

Just go on line and look at the install directions for the stairs you plan on buying.
No way are they going to suggest using a 4 X 6, or any of the blocking your suggesting using.
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...5EAA2&first=71
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:02 PM   #7

Yeah, there is no way to move it over to only cut 1 joist. If so I could have just gone with the instructions that came with the stairs. But since I am going to have an almost 11 inch gap on both sides I thought I should check to see if anyone had ideas on how to build it out.

I don't think I'm going to use a 4x6 for an attic stair. I put a door in to our garage through a load bearing wall and only had to use 2 2x12's and sandwich a piece of plywood. A 4x6 may be overkill.

gregzoll - Thanks for the reply, I plan to attach a 2x4 across the joists before I cut so they don't move, then remove it afterward to put flooring in.

ddawg16 - How long do I need to double up the joists on the sides? Just past the headers? or the entire length?
Old 11-19-2012, 09:34 PM   #8
Retired from the grind

Build it as if you are doing a stairwell. Doubled 2x6 all the way around. Keep in mind also, unless you get a scuttle that seals airtight when it is closed, it will be like not having a door up there. Another item, you may be having to pull permits in your area, due to it is changing the structure of the home, by placing an opening there.

As for those cripples in between the box and the parallel joists, I really do not see a need for all of them. I would do just two on either side.

Last edited by gregzoll; 11-19-2012 at 09:36 PM.

Tags
attic stairs, carpentry, joist support