Attic, Rafters Safe To Walk On? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-16-2011, 01:06 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 81

Attic, rafters safe to walk on?

Hi,
I have a 4 year old home....the roof trusses were all prefab, and most have a 2x4, or 2x6 running on the bottom and the corners are held together by spike plates (not sure of the technical term.)
Pictures are below.....I'd hate to walk in the attic on these and create cracks in my ceiling.

So what is the consensus....are these safe to walk on without creating cracks in the ceiling below?? Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Attic, rafters safe to walk on?-rafters1.jpg   Attic, rafters safe to walk on?-rafter-2.jpg  

Advertisement

D270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 03:43 AM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,502

It depends on how heavy you are. Unless you have a reason to go up into the attic (ie yearly inspections of the sheathing & space), there is no need to go up there.

Advertisement

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 07:21 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

The general alswer is yes. They are dersigned to support a lot more weight than the average man, but will definitely support more than walking on the drywall ceiling......
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 09:22 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,022

You may get some nail pops in the finished ceiling when you are done walking about; just be prepared to fix those.
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 12:08 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,052

Tread gently, especially on the doubled one abutting the truss gang plate in the bottom picture. That one really should have had a hanger installed because of the difficulty of toe-nailing into the slots and getting good support. I usually predrill those when using a hanger because there are 3 metal plates to puncture with only a 10d (0.131) nail. The nails tend the bend in front of the plate, rather than angle into and through it. The single bottom chord ones have two nails on the right (presume right-handed framer) probably one on the left. Toe-nails, about 2/3 load for shear of 120x.66 = 80# x 3 = 240# ; http://www.sizes.com/tools/nails_common_wire.htm

If ever in an earthquake while upstairs, hide under the doorway pictured, two solid wood headers, remove the one and framing for an arched opening. Gift of a change order or the framer misreading the plan.

Gary
Old 04-16-2011, 02:53 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 274

You'd need to be pretty limber to get around up there too. Maybe the framer came back after the picture to put a Teco or some kind of hanger on those end butted trusses. We never would've got away with it.
What did happen with that once framed archway door opening?
Tizzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 09:29 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 81

So much for City inspectors and my own home inspector....is that butt joint you guys mention a problem?

Is it not to code (in Chicago here).....should I put some nails/screws in there from the attic?

I need to run some wiring into the eaves/soffits...so yes, it seems like it will be a slow and methodical effort, IF I do it.

The consensus seems to be "maybe" as far as ok to walk up there. I think the spike plates can't be all that strong.
If I go up there...I think I will be going slow, and stepping as softly as I can...(200lb person).

The "arch" that looks framed in is actually per plan, an architectual detail.

It may not show well in the picture but there are several indents that show up once the drywall went on.

Thanks!

Advertisement

D270 is offline   Reply With Quote