Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-29-2009, 05:14 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Attic Master Bedroom Addition

Hoping someone may be able to provide some information. I want additional square footage in my home, but not really seeing how I would add an addition without destroying the look of the house. I'm wondering what the feasibility is of adding space to what is a completely unfinished attic. According to the original blueprint, I have a 8:12 roof pitch, 2x8 roof rafters, 2x6 ceiling joints, and 2x6 collar ties (4'0 oc). Have no idea what any of that means...but hoping someone can tell me whether this can be made into usuable space without major construction (other than the contruction of the new rooms). Also how much space does this get me (the house is approx 33' by 43').

Thanks!

joannek12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 05:22 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

We need to know how far the 2x6 ceiling joists (will be the floor joists ?) span & if there are any supporting walls below
Without measurements of space no idea on how much room
You want to finish the entire attic?
How tall will the knee walls be?
Do you have a walk up attic?

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 09:31 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

First off, thanks for the quick reply. Let me take a step back and see if I can explain further what I'm trying to accomplish. The 'attic' is totally unfinished space, with the only current access being a crawlspace in my master bedroom walk in closet. If I could do this, my plan would be to take the closet and convert into steps and knock down the wall of the master bedroom which would then open into my living room for a very nice size.

Right now, the only thing in this upper space is my HVAC system, so other then poking my head up there periodically to change the filter, never explored the space. According to the service guys who do go up there they tell me how 'huge' it is and what great space. From what I can see, the joists run evenly the entire length of the house. I understand the question about the knee walls, but hadn't given it much thought....in theory would like it to be usuable space vs. just space. What would be the 'norm'...3 of 4 feet?

Ideally, would like a utility room to close off the HVAC, maybe 20x15 bedroom, walk in closet...maybe 8x10, and decent size master bath...maybe 10x12? Depending on how much space was left after that, might consider a bonus room, or just leave as unfinished storage space.

Once again, thank you for your assistance.
joannek12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 07:01 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

You may need to upgrade your furnace and AC unit for the added demand. A permit is needed to cut the required stairwell and stairs as per code. Upgrade the electrical panel, wiring to space. Add windows required - habitable rooms, 8%floor area in natural light (egress sized, if bedrooms), possible changes in framing floor, roof, knee walls. Search your County's web site for "attic conversions".
Be safe, Gary