Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-03-2010, 12:28 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

attic joist support

Alright I have decided to do a home reno all on my own.
House is 40 yrs old, a simple 35 x 60 rectangle with basement, ground floor with attic( only air and insulation up there). Joists run from outside loadbearing wall to middle of the house and rest on centre wall that runs the length of the house EXCEPT the last 4' where there is 3 sections of joist ( 12'x10'x12') overtop of the porch which is 4' x 10' and two rooms on wither side of the porch and the joist overlap currently rests on two load bearing walls 4' long. So I want to take out the 1 wall ( currently a door frame for access from porch into room) and build a support in the attic to hold up this 4' length. I talked to local carpenter over the phone and got an idea of what I need to do but I am wondering where I might find a diagram that would give me a better idea of what size wood, kind of wood to use, length of screws and if there are any additional parts pieces I need before I start trying to put this thing together up there. As I understand it I will be attaching a wood plank from the outside load bearing wall perpindicular to joists and it will cover the joists that need support plus rest on 3 more joists that are going to help take on the load. But then I got a bit lost on how to actually physically attach the joists to this new cross beam.
Now how's that for confusing!

kimallen123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 11:21 PM   #2
Totally screwed together

Rewards Points: 250

attic joist support

Take a look at this article in JLC, and see if this doesn't help you out.

Replacing a Wood Beam With Steel

Basicly what you need to do is provide support across that joint, and mate it up to a vertical member that will carry the load to the floor.

That's about all i can help you with until I can see a picture or drawing of your framing.

xxPaulCPxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 12:00 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

attic joist support

Thanks for the article.

I did go and buy two 2x6 eight feet long spruce boards which I am supposed to join together with deck screws and then lay perpindicular across 7 joists, butted up against the outside the load bearing wall on one end and crossing over 3 joists that are fully supported at the other. Then I looked for joist anchors 8-10" long to connect the new beam to the joists but two different hardware stores did not have anything and I settled for some strage looking piece of metal that will attach the two by nails (1 1/4" joist nails???....who knew!) There are 3 nails in the end that will fit over the joist and 4 nails in the end that attaches to the new beam ( I bought 2 per joist so that should hold). Due to the fact that the joists are already covered I could not use those u shaped pieces of metal. Now to get it into the attic, glad I have cordless drill.
kimallen123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 01:31 PM   #4
Totally screwed together

Rewards Points: 250

attic joist support

Some suggestions:
Based on my experience, I don't trust any screw in framing construction below a #9 size, the metal is too thin in the cross section. Here are some good sources:
GRK, Screw Products, and McFeeleys. Also, Simpson makes a special Hardware Connector Screw called SD9 and SD10.

If you must use a deck screw, I like the Deck Mate Square Drive that you can now get at Lowes (used to only be at Home Depot). To get the right fastener, you might have to special order it.

Here is the connector you might want: LTS12

BTW, I understand the doubled 2x6 reaching to the outside wall, but I think the other side should already hit a load bearing path where it hits that first interior joist over the outside door wall. Can you post a pic of that area?
xxPaulCPxx is offline   Reply With Quote