Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-20-2010, 09:17 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

attic insulatoin

whay type of insulation is better, fiberglass or green fiber? I want to blow it in my attic. I live in Michigan, I now have 8" of fiberglass, how much do you think I should add?

Last edited by 345; 10-20-2010 at 09:35 AM.
345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 01:49 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

attic insulatoin

Hey 345,
I am Gregg with The Home Depot in Chicago. In this area the code for attic insulation is always changing. When I did my attic it had just changed to 19” of insulation. It sounds like a lot but it is what they called for. I would check local code to determine how much you need.

Which is better, fiberglass or cellulous installation? That truly is the question of our time. Well, GreenFiber is cellulous insulation. It is made of recycled paper, it has a higher R-value per inch, and it poses no health risk. Cellulous insulation also absorbs water, isn’t as fire retardant, and can settle over time, which reduces the R-value. Fiberglass is age tested and has been used for many years. It doesn’t hold water and is very fire retardant, but the glass fibers in fiberglass have been known to become airborne. They will both get the job done, but since you already have fiberglass I say stick with it. Let me know what you decide to do. –Gregg-

------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am a Home Depot Store Associate trained and authorized to help people on the internet

gotogregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 02:15 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

attic insulatoin

The moisture-retention property of cellulose is a slight advantage because it can help keep the humidity level balanced.

I would like to add more insulation to my attic (8 inches of blown-in fiberglass = R30), but it's already up to the tops of the rafters so I elected to add a radiant barrier instead to keep things easy and economical.
operagost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 05:38 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

attic insulatoin

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotogregg View Post
Hey 345,

Fiberglass is age tested and has been used for many years. It doesn’t hold water and is very fire retardant, but the glass fibers in fiberglass have been known to become airborne.
Yes, FG is age tested and has been used for many years, but it is still not a good product, in general. Batts are the worst insulation on the planet, and blowing it in is not much better. The is a Spider material (FG) that is blown into walls as dense pack, and it apparently does a real good job (according to one of the advisers on greenbuildingadvisor.com), but I have not yet read where blown fiberglass in a lid is the best way to go, at all. Cellulose is. BTW: FG WILL hold water, it is not much of a fire retardant, and the dirt that gets in it will promote mold growth. Steer clear of FG is most situations.
jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 05:38 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

attic insulatoin

Greg, would you explain this to me, please -- "Cellulous insulation also absorbs water, isn’t as fire retardant, and can settle over time, which reduces the R-value. Fiberglass is age tested and has been used for many years. It doesn’t hold water and is very fire retardant," ? Just the bolds.

Gary