Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-11-2008, 11:32 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Attic Insulation Redo, Fix, or other

Hello All. (new here)

Please check out my photos for reference.
http://picasaweb.google.com/ChrisCra...ey=Rb2vboo99Ig

I live in Northern Virignia and the return of summer is beating my a/c down. The current heat has my trane (just serviced) running dusk to dawn. Temp is not controlled, rising steadily throughout the afternoon. I believe the attic is at fault.

I am trying to decide what to do.
My 1st thought was Prodex for the roof which has zero insulation on it.
Or should I just improve my venting? Maybe a push/pull fan for the two gabel vents.

Then I thought about wholely redoing the whole thing, abate the fiber batt/blown junk and start over. But that would go beyond what I want to diy.

Can anyone provide recommendations on what I should do here?

Thanks.

ChrisCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 04:17 PM   #2
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Rewards Points: 1,000

I would install an attic roof mount exhaust fan over the AC blower, I noticed you have a whole house fan, does the fan blades chatter when you turn it on high. ?? If so you do not have the proper size vents for the exhaust. which will answer your question of putting in a gable exhaust fan. but bigger.

buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 06:12 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks,

I think you are right. I'm not sure about the attic fan part yet. I need to check my edge (easement/overhang) clearance, I think the blow-in may be covering it all the edges up. that could really be hurting me.

The house fan is rarely used, but yes, on full it chatters pretty good. But I know it's also about 10x too powerful. Although it can clear a smokey kitchen in seconds with all the right windows open.

I've read through the series of articles here
http://www.askthebuilder.com/Ventilation.shtml
There are many options now. But I think I need to determine my basic air flow before doing anything else.

-Chris
ChrisCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 07:32 PM   #4
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Rewards Points: 1,000

I wasn't sure if you had blown in insulation but now that you said that the fan does chatter on high what has occurred is that the blown in insulation was being blown out though your soffit vents which is now clogged. as you stated repair the vents and you will find that the attic will cool down to some degree. Don use the fan until you have the proper sqft area of area. Good luck Bob
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote