Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-03-2008, 01:55 PM   #1
Power Gen/RS Engineer

Rewards Points: 500

Attic insulation over walkway?

I have been doing a bunch of work recently in my attic which is chock full of blown-in insulation. I'm going to need to continue doing work up there during the winter months (Illinois) and I'd like to install some sort of permanent walkway up there to help in getting around. Is there any problem with putting down a couple of 2x12's and then laying batt insulation on top which can be moved out of the way as necessary without the mess of raking the blown in out of the way (my wife is getting PO'd with me tracking it throughout the house, too). Similarly, could this be done with sheet goods as well, i.e. plywood?

Also, I just saw a link for a product called Attic Dek (http://www.atticdek.com/adMain.htm). Does anyone have any experience with this product?

Thanks,
Jimmy

Old 10-03-2008, 04:37 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 590

I put down 1/2" plywood, ripped in half. I went all the way around the stair opening and down the center, fastening to the ceiling joists. I also left 2 half sheets so they could be moved when working off of the center strip.

Old 11-05-2008, 12:29 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

I'm also in the same situation.

I also have an attic walkway to my AC unit. I was planning to insulation over it with R30 unfaced batts, just so I'd know where it is. Then I was planning on blowing in insulation everywhere else up to to the same 9" height. I thought about using 2x8s or 2x6s to raise it up so I could insulate under. Since no one has been up to look at the Air-handler in the 4 years since I changed the AC unit, so I'm thinking that raising it up is more trouble than it was worth.

Also I was planning on laying Bats next to the Air Handler to keep the blown insulation from getting up inside the unit and also to make the not so often maintenance easier.

Thoughts?

Thanks
Bob
IwanaBrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 12:55 PM   #4

If your joist span is over 16 inches then a 1/2 inch plywood would not work. It will sag a whole bunch. I prefer 3/4 since it is much stronger. Even 5/8 is better.

Why not make it permanent and just shovel insulation over it once you are done up there? That way if you need it again you don't have to go through the hoops all over.
Old 11-05-2008, 12:58 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by IwanaBrich View Post
I'm also in the same situation.

I also have an attic walkway to my AC unit. I was planning to insulation over it with R30 unfaced batts, just so I'd know where it is. Then I was planning on blowing in insulation everywhere else up to to the same 9" height. I thought about using 2x8s or 2x6s to raise it up so I could insulate under. Since no one has been up to look at the Air-handler in the 4 years since I changed the AC unit, so I'm thinking that raising it up is more trouble than it was worth.

Also I was planning on laying Bats next to the Air Handler to keep the blown insulation from getting up inside the unit and also to make the not so often maintenance easier.

Thoughts?

Thanks
Bob
Ohhhh. I hate blow in next to air handlers. Even in the same room.

Over the years I have had to do my share of cleaning them out.

In the attic there are vents to equalize pressure, temperature and moisture. The wind gets in these vents and will blow insulation around. It will get to your air handler.