Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-13-2010, 02:39 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Question

Attic insulation over the cavity above the stairs

Begining a project to add blown insulation to the attic. Currently, about 6 inches of blown cellulose insulates portions of the attic. From the attic I can see down into the cavities above my stairs (from the 1st floor, stairs come up 8 steps to a landing, turn 90 degrees, then 5 more steps to the 2nd floor.) It appears that plastic sheeting had covered these openings at one time but may have fallen in. The insides of the cavities do not appear insulated. I do not know if the plastic sheeting is supposed to cover the opening to the attic, or, if this was perhaps some other failed attempt by a previous owner to prevent cold air from chilling the stair wells.

Can anyone tell me, from the attic, should I be able to see down into the cavity above the stairs or not?

If not, do I stretch new plastic, drywall or foamboard across the opening and insulate over top of the closed opening? Can I do this without causing moisture build-up issues? If not, what should I do to avoid filling the entire cavity with blown insulation?

jkocher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 03:07 AM   #2

I can tell you this much; get that plastic the hey out of there. Any conditioned space (heated) needs insulation over it; period. Cellulose is a good choice in most instances. I am not picturing this "cavity", but why not fill it as much as needed? Drywall is vapor permeable, and should not present any real moisture issues; so is EPS (white styrofoam) and I believe XPS is, too (blue or pink styrofoam). NO foil faced stuff. If you cover the cavity w/ something vapor permeable, then blow cellulose over that, you should be fine. You'll just have a big dead air space.

jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jklingel For This Useful Post:
jkocher (10-14-2010)
Old 10-14-2010, 07:42 AM   #3

You have to think "thermal envelope" and make sure it is insulated whether it is flat or zigzags up down and around. I plan to take my thermal envelope over the stair assembly so it stays flat.... Insulating a full height walk up attic stairway
Much easier, it seems, than insulating the kneewalls and we don't use the attic all that much.

If you go that road, block off the cavities that are part of the thermal envelope, and figure out how to put insulation on top. I don't picture it either exactly... sounds like you might end up with an attic insulation hatch over part of the cavities, and the cellulose over the rest.
steveel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steveel For This Useful Post:
jkocher (10-14-2010)
Old 10-14-2010, 09:45 PM   #4

First, thank you both for your replies. The plastic will go, but, before I make a correction, I think I will get back up there and take a couple photos or try to draw a diagram of the space above the stairs. I know my terminology and descriptions are not so great, but maybe a picture would help.

I will try to send you guys a note when I get the photo. Might be a few days - the weekend is here and hunting season is in, so I'll be in the woods for a bit (rather than in my attic.)

Again, thanks so much for your help.
Old 10-15-2010, 01:47 AM   #5

Wait a minute! You're going hunting and I'm NOT? No way will I ever answer a question of yours again. Some meat could change my mind, though....
jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 09:03 AM   #6

Thumbs up

HA! Well, as far as meat goes, and, if early PA archery season history repeats itself, I might as well take my bow up and sit in the attic with it. But, the fresh air and outdoors keeps me sane, so like always I'll go out anyway and sit in the woods, meat or no meat.

More to follow...

Tags
insulation, opening, stairwell cavity