Attic Insulation Help - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-15-2010, 05:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Attic insulation help

Want to add blown-in insulation to my unfinished attic so I got some quotes…wow…I guess I’m doing the work myself.

Question – I have no sofit vents only gable vents. Obviously I don’t need to worry about blocking sofit vent air flow. Do I just blow the insulation in as far as I can or do I still need to keep it back from that area?

Don’t know if this would somehow cause ice dams…live in Connecticut.

Thanks

Advertisement

Davidb6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 04:19 PM   #2

Attic insulation help

Wow, no help, was it that dumb of a question?

Advertisement

Old 10-19-2010, 05:35 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,098

Attic insulation help

Nope, you just went under the radar!

Have you had any ice dams or frost in the attic before? http://www.energysaversny.com/frost_-_moisture

http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...d-135-ice-dams

"Do I just blow the insulation in as far as I can or do I still need to keep it back from that area? " ------- The reason is as you said--- to not block the air intake vents. The heat loss over the exterior walls is a major source of ice dams. The joint at wall/ceiling drywall and wire/plumbing holes let air from below through.
Air seal the attic first: http://www.rd.com/how-to-seal-attic-...icle18158.html

Many times after adding more insulation, new problems occur because of lack of venting.

Gary
Old 10-19-2010, 06:27 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

Attic insulation help

^ uh huh

as for blowing it yourself you need to check your local code for what thickness is required. most the country is r38-r60, where you fall is hard to say without checking.

you can either rent the pink panther machine at HD and blow in the new fiberglass or go with paper and cellulose. there's not a huge difference between the two but the new gen of glass has advantages with moisture. if any is in the attic cellulose will take it on, get wet, stick to the sheetrock, potentially grow mold and loose R value. atticat does non of these. of course moisture in the attic is a whole nother issue. rough cost is $28/bag and it takes 20 bags to bring 1000 sqft from 0 to r38, you also get a 30% tax credit on it when you file this year.
racebum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 07:11 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 150

Attic insulation help

not sure how old your house is, but with ours we have a '64 ranch and when we added 3 inches of celluose then R 19 fiberglass batting perpendicular across the joists there were a few areas of ceiling drywall that started to sag and undo the nails. I had to use drywall screws to help add support ,then mud, and paint in several rooms. Just a heads up in case you have older house with drywall that may have nails and spaced farther apart than todays code requirements.

Not sure about stuffing the eaves with the insulation but it might not be a bad idea to install air baffles just in case. It would suck to blow all that insulation in then find out you need to go back and add more ventilation including air baffles. If things go fine with just your gable venting then no biggie you only spent a few bucks on foam baffling and several hours installing them.
creamaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 04:02 PM   #6

Attic insulation help

Thanks for the responses -

GBR in WA wrote -
Have you had any ice dams or frost in the attic before?
No, I have never had a problem.

The reason is as you said--- to not block the air intake vents.
That is the question. I do not have air intake vents in that area..only on the gable ends. Do I just fill in that area?

racebum wrote -
you can either rent the pink panther machine at HD
I've been looking for places to rent equipment but non have the insulation...will checkout HD...thanks

creamaster wrote -
not sure how old your house is
House was built in 1966 and has about 1200 sf of unfinished attic. The existing insulation has a vapor barrier and is below the 2x8s..so I would guess it was 8: but compressed over time to 7"
It would suck to blow all that insulation in then find out you need to go back and add more ventilation including air baffles.
Good point. I've never had a problem due to not having vents in that area so I'm not sure if I will ever need to add them.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:38 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,098

Attic insulation help

If you never had a problem before, and you have a v.b., you would only need the vents there for the shingle warranty and prevent ice dams. I believe code requires venting for your locale. Add the baffles and the edge piece or the better ones for the same price that just bend to protect the insulation from wind-wash or leave them out, your call. Lowe: http://www.adoproducts.com/duro.html and: http://www.adoproducts.com/wind.html Or HD, same price: http://www.bergerbuildingproducts.co...sAccuvent.html

Help ease your mind on the vents......... http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/pdf1999/tenwo99a.pdf

Gary
Old 10-21-2010, 01:31 PM   #8

Attic insulation help

GBR in WA...nice link...Help ease your mind on the vents..thanks

Looks like I'm going to add some foam vent channels, I don't need them now but some day somebody may want to add vents and this will certainly make it easier.

Also found some fed and state rebates that make adding insulation a no brainer.

Thanks!

Advertisement