Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-16-2012, 09:00 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Attic Insulation Advice

Hi,
Looking for some suggestions with my house.

I have a small bungalow that currently needs some attention in the attic. The insulation up there consists of paper backed R20 batts that have seen better days. Ceilings are all drywall.
(Also I'm from Ontario so I believe code is R49 because it gets cold!!)

I have been thinking about pulling all the old insulation out, spray foaming a 1" layer down on top of the drywall (due to lack of real vapour barrier) and then blowing in a bunch of insulation to get R50+

Lately I have been thinking about just buying a few cans of spray foam and sealing over any of the ceiling electrical boxes to stop air movement and then blowing in insulation on top of the batts to get R50+. This will save me considerable work and money as spray foam in this area is very expensive.

Any thoughts?

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:27 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 252

Attic Insulation Advice

I'd go with your second option, not knowing the condition of your original insulation of course.

Ensure you don't block your soffit vents and that he attic has proper ventilation.

shazapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:31 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Attic Insulation Advice

I would just add to what you have (i.e. option 2). i just added some rolls of r30 to my attic. decided on rolls, because generally it was less messy (i have to access my attic via my infant dtr's room), and i could DIY and not have to have friends come help me with the pump rental etc. the rolls of unfaced r 30 were relatively inexpensive (like $12) too. while up there, i also replaced most if not all of those vent things(the styrofoam pices that allow for air circulation). it is a good investment that i felt an immediate difference in how warm my dtr's room is).
thundercracker is offline   Reply With Quote