Attic Insulation - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-21-2008, 11:38 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

attic insulation

I have some very cold spots in the upstairs, especially closets in three rooms. Before we bought the house, the former owners had central air installed. I think they moved or removed insulation to place equipment and run duct lines. My guess is they never replaced the insulation properly. Two of the closets back up to dormer space and hard to get to. The attic is a crawl space with not much room to work. There is so much equipment and duct work up there, I don't know if it possible to place conventional insulation. Are there any products that anyone might suggest? Thanks.

Advertisement

david187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 12:01 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

attic insulation

HD sells blow-in insulation and also will loan you the blower machine if you buy enough. You fill the machine and just stand where you can with the hose and out blows the insulation.

Advertisement

pesphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 11:52 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

attic insulation

I agree with the previous poster. There are two kinds of loose-fill insulation: fiberglass and cellulose.

The cellulose is what I think Home Depot sells and it's usually the least expensive of the two. The operation runs a lot easier with two men working it. One to feed the hopper and one to blow the insulation in. You don't want to have to climb in and out of the attic each time the hopper empties.

You might consider upgrading your entire attic to R30 while your up there.
You'll recover the cost over the time you own your home.
Randell Tarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 08:08 AM   #4
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

attic insulation

Your assumptions, I'm sure are correct. We see this all the time, espeically on commercial and multi-resident construction (after the utilities are run in the attics).
You can also purchase hard-packed cellulose, that you break-up and loosen yourself and fill by hand = if you have smaller areas to "top-off" or add to.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:19 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

attic insulation

I had to buy 20 bags of the loose insulation in order to get the blower rental for free. My initial cost was going to be about $180. When my frined and i finished we had 7 unused bags of insulation. I called HD and they offered to refund my money and still not charge me for the blower. So in the end it only cost me around $125 to fully insulate my attic as well as a couple walls.
Well worth it. My wife says it feels much warmer, especially on the 2nd floor of the house. So..if she's happy...........Im happy!
pesphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 10:14 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 10

attic insulation

Thanks for the advice. How careful do I have to be spraying around the a/c unit, condeser line, overflow pipe, etc? Thanks.
david187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 10:28 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 500

attic insulation

Read up or get a manual with the product..
Yes care is needed... depends on your conditions..
Don't fill ac unit condensate overflow pan... needs to breath at soffit (proper vent).. close penatrations at vent pipes... don't cover lighting if fixture is not rated.. etc.

Advertisement

Big Bob is offline   Reply With Quote