Attic Ceiling Joyces - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-20-2011, 12:41 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

attic ceiling joyces

Hello,

I'm currently in the process of coverting an unfinished upstairs into a bonus room. All things considered it has gone to plan. My only obsitical i'm facing is installing the ceiling joists. the current room has none. the roof is sloped and i've constructed 4ft knee walls. I'm just not sure of the best way to place the ceiling joists. face mounted with hurricane clips for support? or mounted to the side of the roof rafter but i'm conserned with lateral twist. any advice? thanks

Advertisement

Last edited by tek4life; 02-20-2011 at 01:25 AM.
tek4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 08:26 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

attic ceiling joyces

Where to start. Attic floor joists are usually not sized for a room addition. I don't understand your statement that "the current room has none'????????? Floor joists are spaced at 16" or 24" depending on a lot of factors. Attic rooms need an emergency exit. Do you have a permit, has the plan been approved to meet local building codes??

Advertisement

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 04:34 PM   #3

attic ceiling joyces

Yes I have a permit. The building department didn't require me to submit plans since all of charm houses built in my town where designed to have a upstairs. The builders advertised them as 2+2 homes for the two premade bedrooms and the owner finishing the upstairs which would result in two more bedrooms. My question was not on the floor joists but proper placement methods of ceiling joists. The current room has none since the room was unfinished. I could leave the ceiling vaulted but would like to have a flat ceiling. The knee walls I have built are 4ft to maximize the space. With no wall reaching the 7ft code required in place the ceiling joist can't be placed on the top plate of a wall. Which leaves me with using the roof rafters. on the question of the floor joists are 2x8s at a 12 ft span placed 16" oc's they have beams placed at 6ft to increase the load rating the joist also have cross bridging and some blocking.

Last edited by tek4life; 02-20-2011 at 04:38 PM.
Old 02-20-2011, 05:31 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,010

attic ceiling joyces

Install the new ceiling joists next to the rafters, acting as collar ties. Put one in on each end with a level and string line the rest. I would remove any drywall on the rafters from the ceiling level upward. Insulate with rock wool or ?, remembering the light fixture wires and smoke detector, if hard wired. Use baffles on the sloped ceiling after furring below if needed for the local R-value required. Insulate and house wrap the knee walls on the attic side, use ADA; http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...wall-approach/
Block above and below wall air flow. Install fiberglass, if used, very carefully;The "biggest loser" in fiberglass insulation....

Gary
Old 02-20-2011, 06:10 PM   #5

attic ceiling joyces

Thank you very much Gary. That was my original plan but then I started over thinking the project. Would you recommend using any strong ties to reinforce the connection to the rafters?