Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-25-2012, 10:29 PM   #1

Share |

attic braces

Hello,
My name is Justin from dallas, texas and i'm new to the forum and a new home owner, so I 'd just like to say hi and introduce myself because I'm sure there are plenty of questions to come. Ive figured out a lot in the short time that's I've owned my home, but I need some advice in my attic. I'm trying to insulate my attic and I have the w style trusses bracing my roof, which makes it hard to move around. What makes it even harder is the fact there are a ton of vertical braces to get in the way. Ive done some searches and all ive found are diagonal braces that go all the way to the peak and I know not to remove those. These are just 4-6ft 2x4 boards that connect each section together horizontally. Some of them aren't even flush with the trusses. Even though they only served as keeping everything in place in the beginning, I'm worried if I remove them after all this time that it will add stress. Please give me any advice you can, or ask any questions to help clarify. If you need pictures, I can provide them.
Hello and thanks again#

j_mays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 10:41 PM   #2

attic braces

Without pictures only you know what it looks like.
There called trusses.
Any 2X's laying on the "floor" are there to keep the ceiling joist from moving and causing drywall nail or screw pops.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 12:37 AM   #3
Pro

attic braces

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Any 2X's laying on the "floor" are there to keep the ceiling joist from moving and causing drywall nail or screw pops.
They're handy for attic-walking too
smalpierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:15 AM   #4

attic braces

"Rule of Thumb", if you don't know, leave it alone .... some photos as Joe said would be a nice touch

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GBrackins For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (08-26-2012)