DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Building & Construction (
-   -   Attaching wood to metal (

jmagnah 10-02-2012 12:08 PM

Attaching wood to metal
I want to build a wall in my basement. My house is modular so the joists in the basement are a heavy metal. I have no idea how to attach the wood walls to the metal joists. What tools do I need? Screws, bolts , what??

gregzoll 10-02-2012 12:11 PM

Pictures help. You would actually need to have someone weld brackets for mounting the wood timbers, or just build the timbers in a way that they are not attached to the units laying on the concrete walls. You basically would build a box that is only attached to the walls, not the modular living units.

mae-ling 10-02-2012 04:40 PM

Is this wall paralleled or perpendicular to your metal joists?
Are they metal Joists or metal beams?

scottktmrider 10-02-2012 05:39 PM

Self tapping screws should go thru it.The screws with a cutter end on it.

jaydevries 10-02-2012 07:12 PM

this is what we use sold at box stores the little wings cut slightly larger hole in wood to prevent screw jacking

rustyjames 10-03-2012 08:33 AM

Fastening wood to steel is done often in commercial construction using powder actuated equipment such as Hilti or Ramset.

Obn2012_Aus 10-03-2012 08:39 AM

How thick is the metal? If it's thin you can easily drill and screw the wood for framing, then you can attached the board for the wall.

jmagnah 10-03-2012 11:08 AM

Since it is a modular the undercarriage is heavy duty metal beams. The wheels are removed then the home is placed on the basement but the beams stay. Regular stick built homes have wood joists (I'm not sure "joist" is the correct term) in the ceiling of the basement but in modulars they are metal beams. The wall would be attached to the metal beams in the ceiling just as you would in any regular basement, I just don't know what to use since obviously regular screws or nails will not work.

mae-ling 10-03-2012 11:13 AM

You can use the self tapping screws as stated above, although you may need to drill smaller pilot holes anyways.
Or metal screws that you will need to predrill for.

Go into a reputable hardware or lumber store and they can help you. Usually not a big box store.

Jackofall1 10-03-2012 11:15 AM

This would be a good one to post pictures of, it would certainly give us an idea of exactly what you are trying to connect to.


mae-ling 10-03-2012 11:27 AM

Usually like this, wood joists run front to back on top of it.

Jackofall1 10-03-2012 11:34 AM


Originally Posted by mae-ling (Post 1022912)

Usually like this, wood joists run front to back on top of it.

Thats kinda like I was invisioning, what I was trying to picture is whether they would be fastening on the horizontal (bottom flange) or on the vertical (web). Need to answer that question to best determine a means of fastening.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:39 PM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1