Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-27-2011, 07:50 PM   #1

Share |

Attaching shelving to the wall.

So I bought a shelf. After drilling into the wall, the drill bit stops at about half an inch and will go no further. It sounds like metal grinding on metal or it may be concrete.

I tend to believe it's concrete because no matter where on the wall I drill, I get the same results.

Is my only option to go rent a rotary drill? This seems like an awful lot of trouble to hang a $6 shelf from target. Is there some other method of securely holding this shelf, perhaps shorter drywall anchors?

Any advice appreciated. Thanks!

TheComrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 08:15 PM   #2
Learning by Doing

What is back there? Ask your landlord, bet they know. I could be wrong, you may own the place, then determine what your wall is made of, and we can help.

Also, you could just end your misery and buy a standing bookshelf.

My motto is, if you're going to do it, over do it.... I mean do it right. :P

TheComrade (03-27-2011)
Old 03-27-2011, 08:33 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheComrade View Post
So I bought a shelf. After drilling into the wall, the drill bit stops at about half an inch and will go no further. It sounds like metal grinding on metal or it may be concrete.

I tend to believe it's concrete because no matter where on the wall I drill, I get the same results.

Is my only option to go rent a rotary drill? This seems like an awful lot of trouble to hang a $6 shelf from target. Is there some other method of securely holding this shelf, perhaps shorter drywall anchors?

Go get a concrete drill bit and use tapcon fasteners the shelf will be solid as a rock
Don Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Don Smith For This Useful Post:
TheComrade (03-27-2011)
Old 03-27-2011, 08:39 PM   #4

lol. NO.

Dont go rent a bazooka, blowtorch, stun gun..etc. How silly would it be for you to rent big bertha and finally drill through a strike-plate, hitting plumbing/electrical.

First, find out what is behind the wall.
jcrack_corn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jcrack_corn For This Useful Post:
TheComrade (03-27-2011)
Old 03-28-2011, 04:00 AM   #5

Quote:

Are you planning to drill that to your home? As some shelve in some where may be in kitchen? It looks more suitable to there too.
Terrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 06:59 PM   #6

I have been informed that it's concrete back there and against my lease to drill into it.

But, using my regular drill bit, I was able to press in farther today, and got a screw to take hold.

So my question now becomes: Is that really concrete I'm hitting, i.e. is it possible to drill into concrete with my regular drill bit? Or is it some kind of harder drywall?
Old 03-28-2011, 08:14 PM   #7

Quote:
I have been informed that it's concrete back there and against my lease to drill into it.

But, using my regular drill bit, I was able to press in farther today, and got a screw to take hold.

So my question now becomes: Is that really concrete I'm hitting, i.e. is it possible to drill into concrete with my regular drill bit? Or is it some kind of harder drywall?
I't not going to stay long get a concrete drill bit and a few Tapcon screws Home Depot or lowes you should be able to patch the holes easy enough if you leave the rental property
Don Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Don Smith For This Useful Post:
TheComrade (03-29-2011)
Old 03-28-2011, 08:27 PM   #8

I am totally ok with drilling into concrete, I am just concerned about being zinged for damages- I was told that drilling into the concrete is damage to the construction of the building. Is this a bunch of malarky?
Old 03-28-2011, 09:52 PM   #9
Carpenter

You've already involved your landlord on this, so whether its malarky or not doesn't matter. You don't want to fight your landlord over a six dollar shelf. If you're still intent on having a shelf there attach it in some other manner. Hang it from the ceiling, buy a standing bookcase or buy/make wooden shelf brackets that will allow a small nail to be inserted at a 45 degree downward angle through the top of the bracket into the sheetrock. An 1/8" dia. nail protruding into the sheetrock at least 1/2" at a 45 degree angle should be able to withstand at least 30 lbs. of downward force. Use at least two of these bracket systems and attach the shelf to them and it will be strong enough to hold 45 lbs. of stuff safely. Use adhesive caulk behind the brackets to keep them flush to the wall for added strength and stability.
marttinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to marttinen For This Useful Post:
TheComrade (03-29-2011)
Old 03-28-2011, 10:46 PM   #10
Learning by Doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheComrade
I am totally ok with drilling into concrete, I am just concerned about being zinged for damages- I was told that drilling into the concrete is damage to the construction of the building. Is this a bunch of malarky?
As an attorney (retired) it is not a bunch of 'malarky'. Landlord CAN charge you for the concrete damage. Depending on your lease your landlord could consider this a material breach of your renter's obligations and could (as in, it may be possible) that you could get evicted over it.

This is a learning experience: sometimes doing what you want comes along with repercussions.
TheComrade (03-29-2011)
Old 03-29-2011, 12:26 AM   #11

I agree....and don't think that your landlord won't be in your house when you are not home to check on things.
cherry_560sel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 02:23 AM   #12

if there is a space between drywall/concrete (which there should be, probably metal strapping) either try see if there is enough room to fit hollow wall anchor of some kind

tapcon's would work well too, however if landlord is being anal about drilling into concrete then maybe avoid it. I encountered the same thing awhile ago, strata guy was a pain, when there was no danger of damaging anything.

chrisBC is offline   Reply With Quote