Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-26-2011, 01:05 AM   #1
Dusty

Share |
Wink

Attaching shed style roof between existing buildings.

Hello all~

I've been searching for some help on this problem and this appeared to be the friendliest one around. I've worked around the construction industry for nearly 35 years and have a pretty good working knowledge of home construction. But I've run into a problem I can't resolve. Here's the scenario...

About 18 years ago we build a 1 story rambler style house. As kids and grandkids move in and out we needed room for Our toys. So, we built an addition as a separate building and had future plans to connect the two. Well, the future is now!

This separate building is lovingly called the 'Cabin' and it's foundation is exactly 12' from, and parallel to, the long side of the main house. We're in the process of beginning the connecting Room which is a 12' X 14' and it will be a hallway between the House and the Cabin. We are up to laying sheathing down on the joists, with insulation installed as we go. Still with me..I hope?

The issue I'm concerned about is the roof on the new Room. Both the cabin and the house have regular peak roofs with 2' soffit and 8" cedar fascia. The new Room will have a shed-style roof with enough slope to run off the rain. We have enough room under the soffits to have a normal height room without any to spare. The soffits/fascia are limiting here. My roofer of many years is exceptionally good so I'm not worried about keeping it water tight. He did say to go ahead and leave it flat but I'd prefer at least a couple inches of slope for reassurance.

What I am concerned about is joining the slope edge of the new shed roof against the side wall of each existing building. We have stripped the siding down to the house wrap where the new room will be. Picture two buildings 12' apart. Now take a shed style chicken house or loafing shed and drop it in between the two buildings with the slope going the length of the opening. I hope I've described it clearly enough.

I'm looking for thoughts or ideas on
1) the best way to but the roof edge to the existing walls
2) things I've missed that will cause me grief later

Thanks in advance for your thoughts~
Chutzie

Chutzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 07:09 AM   #2
DIY staff

Pictures or photos will be needed to get any decent suggestions----Mike---

Old 07-26-2011, 12:31 PM   #3
Residential Designer

Send a message via Skype™ to AndyGump

Some thing like this might work.

Andy.
Attached Thumbnails
Attaching shed style roof between existing buildings.-house-cabin.jpg  
AndyGump is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 01:58 PM   #4
Dusty

Will get picture/photo uploaded soon~

Andy...you have the exact footprint! What we thought we'd do is to make a shed style roof 'under' the soffit area instead of your more esthetically pleasing idea of blending it in with the existing roof lines. We currently are relying on our own skills to finish up this project and although I know how to blend rooflines I'm not so sure this aging body will cooperate. That's why the shed roof seemed the easiest way to go.

Last edited by Chutzie; 07-26-2011 at 02:04 PM.
Old 07-26-2011, 04:16 PM   #5
Dusty

I hope this picture gives the idea. I took a photo this morning then into Photoshop and did some freehand sketching where the new walls and roof are going. The soffit and fascia height appear to be in the way but we've done careful measuring and it will fit. We're considering meeting the roof up with the fascia at the highest end. (the Front) and boxing in under the fascia to avoid unwanted critters, etc. The roof elevation difference from front to back will be 2-3 inches, just enough for runoff.

A little unconventional, I admit, but that's how I live life.

Chutzie
Attached Thumbnails
Attaching shed style roof between existing buildings.-web-room-drawn-pic-img_7.jpg