Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-22-2011, 10:42 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Attaching Porch Railing to House

Hi Folks,

I am hoping to replace my wrought iron porch railings with vinyl railings, but I'm wondering how to attach the new railings to my house, which has asbestos siding.

I could secure a 4x4 post close to the house, but I'm wondering if there are any other ideas out there that take into account possible leaking from screws, the asbestos siding, and the fact that I have no clue if there is a reliable stud behind the siding.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Mike

Charleston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 11:37 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Do you have any pictures of your situation? I have installed a lot of wrought iron railings and we use a small bracket welded to the end post and screw into the home be it brick, wood, stone etc. and the post itself was drilled into the concrete porch set in place and then filled to cover the hole.
As for the vinyl railings the posts have a base plate and cover with (2-4) holes for screws depending on the post size. Usually the vinyl posts are not attached to the home but they are put as close as possible to the wall. That’s how we do it anyway…

epson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 01:28 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

If you want the end attached to the house, I'd use a 2x4 instead of a 4x4, it would look a bit more natural, as if it was part of the house instead of stuck onto it. they cut the vinyl cover in half, possibly tracing the outline of the shingles so it meets flush.

I've heard asbestos siding is pretty brittle. I'd probably try pilot holes and lots of silicone if you go that route.
forresth is offline   Reply With Quote