Attaching Ply-Bead Panels To Interior Wall - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-10-2009, 04:56 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Attaching Ply-Bead Panels to Interior Wall

I'm installing Ply-Bead beadboard panels (essentially 1/2" plywood with beads cut into it) in my bathroom. Going from floor to ceiling, not half-wall. Started installing with 4d box nails but I think they might pop out over time, and I'm having a hard time countersinking them properly (need a smooth finish for paint).

Any recommendations? Finish nails? Screws? Thanks.

Advertisement

thebigsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 07:47 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Make sure that you are nailing into studs. The joints should land on studs. You may need to cut them to make this happen. Also, I like to rabbet out the base board and chair rail to help keep a clean look. Finish nails should have been used and then countersunk with a nail set.

Advertisement

Old 11-11-2009, 08:50 AM   #3
Remodeler

Rewards Points: 10

Not knowing exactly what product you have, glueing and nailing is the best. Jaro's is right about hitting the studs, but unfortunately depending on who built the house, those studs may not be where there supposed to be. The glue will take care of that problem. Construction glue that comes in a caulking tube works well.

Hope this helps.
fulline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 11:24 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

Thanks for the responses. I ended up setting all the box nails with a nail set (took a long time, some nailheads fell off). Went over the boards again with trim screws in strategic locations to secure it to the wall tightly. Lots of holes to fill and sand before painting!
thebigsee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beadboard , nails , ply-bead , wainscoting