DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Attaching patio cover to the top of cinder block wall

8K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  GBrackins 
#1 ·
I am new to this forum so i apologize if this is the wrong place to ask this question.
I don't have formal plans drawn up for my patio cover, i am still in the planning stages.
I have a walkway on the side of my house that is almost 9 feet across. One side is the house, the other side is a 6 foot tall cinder block wall. I want to put a cover over the entire 9 foot span. The cover would be between 20 and 22 feet long. I have built patio covers before, but never one with an actual roof (meaning complete shade and rain proof, tar paper, etc). So i know a few basics, but i am stumped what to do with the cinder block wall. I guess it is called CMU. I did not build it, but i do know there is rebar and cement all along the wall. Don't know if it meets any kind of codes because we were not required to get a permit.

Anyway, i would like to avoid posts on the inside of the wall primarily for asthetics reasons. Is there a way to attach posts to the top of the cinder block? I know the block breaks away easily so i am worried about the sturdiness of the cover. Are there any kind of brackets i can use to attach the posts? Right now i am thinking the posts would be about 2 feet tall. I think an 8 foot high cover should be sufficient. I have read about epoxy types of sleeve anchors. Would they work on the top part of the wall the same as the side? Putting the ledger on the side of the wall would make the cover much too low. I don't want to put lag type bolts completely through the sides of the block because i don't think it would look good.

I guess if i have to put posts i will. I am hoping there are other good options available. I hope i have described what i am thinking clearly enough. Any kind of info would be appreciated.

See less See more
#2 ·
You want to build a roof over a block wall that's falling apart is what I read.
Post some pictures. your there looking at it, were not, some picture will clear things up.

#5 ·
is the block wall in the photo located on the property line between your and your neighbors' properties?

if so I doubt you would be able to build on top of it. check with you local town and find out what the zoning setbacks are from your property line. they can advise you if you are allowed to build there or not.

good luck!

#8 ·
robert,

better check with the town, structures typically have to meet the zoning setbacks. this is a distance from your property line you are not allowed to build within. typically a roofed structure even held up by posts would not be allowed. if you build it and it is found by the town they could require you to remove it. at least in locations I am familiar with. A quick call to the building department will provide you with the answers you need.

good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.