Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-11-2012, 10:39 AM   #1

Share |

Attaching metal knee wall to CMU wall.

Iím thinking of placing a new decorative knee wall (5ft tall) on top of a building. I want to use metal studs for the framing. Iím also going to brace it to the roof (flat).

My question is: How to I make a secure transition from the top of the block to the metal studs?

Bass283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:42 AM   #2
Architect

Not interested in extending the block up?

If you are set on steel studs, then I would suggest you grout fill the top couple of block cores and wet set some threaded rods. Once set, run a wall plate with bolted connections to the threaded rod.

Since this sounds like a parapet condition, don't forget your wind loading. The lateral forces on that parapet may be significant.

How are you addressing the roofing?

jcarlilesiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:54 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply.

I am using faux stone for the face instead of block. Also, I am not set on steel studs, I figured it would be better than use wood since it would be exposed to the weather.
since its a new construction, I was having my roofer weld studs to the joists so I could attach one end of the brace.
Bass283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 11:10 AM   #4
AHH, SPANS!!!

a lot of times vertical plywood sheathing that goes a few feet either side of the wall break helps to connect two different walls together. this along with plate connectors, though if the wall underneath of your wall is already finished then this will not work

we always set a treated 2x4 plate bolted to the lower wall and then framed the metal wall on top of that.

Last edited by hand drive; 06-11-2012 at 11:12 AM.
hand drive is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 11:17 AM   #5
Architect

Steel studs are not adequate for exposure to the weather. They are steel, and though galvanized, not sufficient for exposure.

I would consider extending a 4" CMU block wall up, aligning the back face with the wall below, and then install a faux masonry/stone face to that to align at the front.
jcarlilesiu is offline   Reply With Quote