Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-25-2009, 09:50 PM   #1

Share |

Attaching Lean to Roof to House

Hello, I am new to the forums here. I am thinking about adding a deck cover in my back yard and would like to attach this cover to the side of my house. The deck area that I will be covering is 10ft wide and 20ft outward away from the house and over the deck. My question is this....should i attach a ledger board to position 1 which is a 5 inch edge of the house made of wood which is on the edge of the roof or should i attach it at position 2 which is brick veneer with wood studs underneath and is simply the exterior wall of the house. The roof will not have heavy shingles or anything like that, it will be constructed mainly of existing 4x4 for support and 2x6 for beams and joists. Any thoughts as to how i should connect this would be greatly appreciated and thank you all in advance!

Whitebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 01:40 AM   #2

Have you a picture to share of the locations - would probably make for better responces.

vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 06:24 AM   #3

When you cover a patio with a roof, many local codes consider that a porch or a room and that requires permits, drawings, inspections, etc. The right way to add a roof to the side of the house is to start with a ledger board anchored to the house framing. That often requires removing some of the siding, adding flashing, etc. If brick, you need to be sure you are into house framing. My point is, this is not as simple as you might think.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 08:58 AM   #4

Thank you guys sorry kinda late with the pictures, I was trying to get them small enough to post. Anyway here is the back of the house where i am wanting to connect the roof that will cover part of the deck.
Attached Images

Old 03-26-2009, 09:34 AM   #5

You do know that with the current pitch of the roof or even a lesser pitch, there may not be a good way to extend it 20 feet out. Once you get to the far end, it might be so low that you'll hit your head on it!
jayp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 10:14 AM   #6

I am hoping that i can change the slope of the new roof to be a good bit less than the current roofs slope. The height of the underside of the eave is 7ft 6in and the lowest i want the roof to get to is 6 ft. i would prefer to attach the new roof from the underside of the eave against the house, if at all possible i do not even want to deal with the outside face of the roof.
Old 03-26-2009, 10:31 AM   #7
Not so new

Whitebear.....in answer to the question, my vote would be for the fascia to gain as much headroom as I could. If you do attach to the brick, I think code stipulates that you drill through the brick and attach to the studs. I dont think you can attach to a brick " venneer ". It wouldnt be a bad idea to consult a professional. Good luck.
12penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 11:27 AM   #8

Thank you for the information regarding the code as it deals with the brick veneer. I had planned on securing the ledger board through the brick veneer and into the studs in the wall behind using 1/2" lag screws. i am curious though of how to go about locating those studs without drilling several holes.
I also had a question about your comment about the facia board. You said you would want the fascia to gain as much headroom as you could. Did you mean that the better way to attach would be through the brick so that run off would be above the roof? Just wanted clarification please.
Thank you guys so much again.
Old 03-26-2009, 11:27 AM   #9

Literally this is the only part I feel lost with, I understand how i am going to construct the entire rest of the roof, just not how i will attach it to the house
Old 03-26-2009, 12:24 PM   #10

are you sure the deck footings can support the extra wieght?
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 12:25 PM   #11
Not so new

Whitebear....what I meant was I would rather have the rafters coming off the fascia than under the soffit. You gain 6" of headroom. If it were me I'd pull off the soffit where you want to put the new roof. Add blocking between the rafter tails and just behind the fascia. Then you can attach a ledger as you said.
12penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 03:52 PM   #12

I am going to call a carpenter friend of my dads to ask about whether the footings can handle the added weight and probably also get his input on the connections as well. Thanks to all of you guys for your input and help. Hope you all stay blessed and safe.

Tags
brick, deck roof, lean to, ledger board